Seeding Beneficial Bacteria - How long?

  • Thread starter Thread starter kmwcane
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

kmwcane

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 14, 2020
Messages
253
Reaction score
309
What state or country do you live in
Georgia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All,

I recently setup a couple of new quarantine tanks and plan on adding biological filtration media from one of my existing tanks to these quarantine tanks. My question: how long does the media need to be in the existing tank before it has enough beneficial bacteria for the new quarantine tanks? For example, I have a bag of filter media that has been in the existing tank for a little over two weeks now; is that a sufficient length of time to populate the necessary bacteria?

Thanks in advance for your help!
 
All,

I recently setup a couple of new quarantine tanks and plan on adding biological filtration media from one of my existing tanks to these quarantine tanks. My question: how long does the media need to be in the existing tank before it has enough beneficial bacteria for the new quarantine tanks? For example, I have a bag of filter media that has been in the existing tank for a little over two weeks now; is that a sufficient length of time to populate the necessary bacteria?

Thanks in advance for your help!
I would think 2 weeks should be plenty of time to have enough bacteria to start colonizing the filter media in the QT tank. Expect the QT tank(s) to go through their own cycle, even after you introduce beneficial bacteria.
I would test for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate every few days until you're comfortable the cycle is complete.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 2 3.2%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 18 29.0%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 19 30.6%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 7 11.3%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 4 6.5%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 11.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 4.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new