Seeding dry rock

Overbrook

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been here just over a year but am an avid reader of the forums and other sources of information.

I keep searching for information on pre-seeding artificial dry rock (in a large Brute in the basement, for example). There are scattered posts (that don't get much traction) but no real best practices (flow, heat, timing, bacterial source, parameters) or success stories. It seems to me that we could maximize conditions that help the right bacteria grow (lower salinity, higher temp) and minimize the danger of ambient light causing algae growth. Water changes during this process would be much much easier than those done during/after a cycle in the DT and would require much less water altogether, providing cost savings. Equipment cost is minimal given that you can ultimately bring any heaters and powerheads to the display along with the rock.

Does anyone have experience with this or thoughts as to why this is rarely recommended?

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been here just over a year but am an avid reader of the forums and other sources of information.

I keep searching for information on pre-seeding artificial dry rock (in a large Brute in the basement, for example). There are scattered posts (that don't get much traction) but no real best practices (flow, heat, timing, bacterial source, parameters) or success stories. It seems to me that we could maximize conditions that help the right bacteria grow (lower salinity, higher temp) and minimize the danger of ambient light causing algae growth. Water changes during this process would be much much easier than those done during/after a cycle in the DT and would require much less water altogether, providing cost savings. Equipment cost is minimal given that you can ultimately bring any heaters and powerheads to the display along with the rock.

Does anyone have experience with this or thoughts as to why this is rarely recommended?
I am not sure how you did not find the info, but it's recommended a lot - at least whenever someone asks about pre-seeding rocks. I think the main thing is most people kinda just do it in their tank.

Because the thing is, pre-seeding artificial dry rock follows the exact same mechanisms as cycling in a tank. Whatever you do for cycling in a tank, it works with a brute trash can as well.

Heat, flow, tada. Microbial source is the same - dosing with FritzZyme for example, applies either way.

You can also pre-seed sand, etc. as well the same way.

I guess maybe that's why there is not that many threads, because it's just cycling, but in a container outside the tank rather than the tank itself.

OP
OP
O

Overbrook

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess maybe that's why there is not that many threads, because it's just cycling, but in a container outside the tank rather than the tank itself.
I suppose I get where you're coming from, but I see this as very different including a potentially much longer timeline. If there are discussions about this I'd love to see them but my read is that 95% or more dry rock cycles are happening over 4-8 weeks the DT.

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have the time and space I highly recommend curing and seeding dry rock for as long as possible. If possible add in some rock from a mature tank or better yet actual live rock from the ocean.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 28 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back