Seeding QT and Clownfish breeding tank - best bio media

ShanesClowns

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 questions which are related , I have a few QT tanks that are going to have fish in them for at least 3 months as my biocube that houses some is going fallow and the other is a QT setup for potential breeding clowns.

Question is for the quarantine tanks how can I seed them? I had a sponge filter in MY DT reef tank for a few months I put that one n one QT but still had some Ammonia scares, can I add fritz bacteria to the tank with fish in it? I now have pond matrix in media bag in DT for some bacteria that I will move into QT eventually.

Second part I am setting up a 3 section clownfish breeding tank with sump ,there will be no live rock in display so all bio media will be in the sump what is recommended, matrix, marine pure , live rock rubble, live sand

Questions

1 -what’s the best way to seed QT QUICKLY ?

2 - what bio media is best to use to seed a large system with no live rock?

3 - can I use fritz or live bacteria in QT tank with fish in it?

4- how long does media have to be in display tank before I transfer to QT tank and be effective?

Thank you in advance for all your suggestions.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To seed quickly, just pour in a bottle of bacteria. As for best biomedia, any will do but avoid bioballs. A block of marinepure or brightwell, a bunch of matrix, etc, anything will work. Just make sure if you take it out of your tank that you aren't significantly disturbing the tank's microbiome. I took out a plate once (despite having tons of other media and it caused me a dino outbreak. Brightwell has a super concentrated bacteria product called xlm but its pricey (it is designed for immediate start up of bio filter if something wrong happends). I tend to stick with fritz as its cheap. Just remember that fritz will say up to X gallons, but that number is halved if its a brand new tank.

AquaLogic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To seed quickly, just pour in a bottle of bacteria. As for best biomedia, any will do but avoid bioballs. A block of marinepure or brightwell, a bunch of matrix, etc, anything will work. Just make sure if you take it out of your tank that you aren't significantly disturbing the tank's microbiome. I took out a plate once (despite having tons of other media and it caused me a dino outbreak. Brightwell has a super concentrated bacteria product called xlm but its pricey (it is designed for immediate start up of bio filter if something wrong happends). I tend to stick with fritz as its cheap. Just remember that fritz will say up to X gallons, but that number is halved if its a brand new tank.
Whats wrong with balls?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back