seek suggestions - adorable yet annoying clownfish in corals

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any suggestions on getting clownfish to just swim in water?

My alveopora, goniopora and frogspawn are unhappy hosts to clownfish and its baby blue hippo tang friend (that thinks its a clownfish).

do not want more BTAs .. do not have room for another tank with BTAs and clowns... seek another solution

Background:
had 13 BTAs, got 7 clownfish, now 2 BTAs and 7 clownfish... 4 clownfish hang in remaining 2 BTAs and only share at night with other clowns, daytime 1-3 clowns hang in huge xenia (xenia doesn't seem to care), various clowns hang in rockwork caves/crevices/corners. Its just 1 clownfish that has decided it needs its tummy tickle from alveopora, goniopora and frogspawn. It is adorable to see clown lay in/on alveopora, goniopora and frogspawn and then it's blue hippo tang-want-to-be-clown come right behind and lay in/on alveopora, goniopora and frogspawn mirroring whatever clownfish just did... but my alveopora, goniopora and frogspawn are shriveling ... Ideally clown & hippo could spend more time annoying that trashy cute green coral at photo bottom - its tougher and shows no damage from their frequent tummy tickles

Alveopora hosting clown n blue hippo.JPG

OP
OP
Fish Think Pink

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you could film Nemo and Dory in your own backyard reef tank!
OH MY GOSH ... I have seen both movies, have Walt Disney coral, and yet still did not make the connection... It's Dory following Nemo as his Mini Me ... ROFL !!!

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive seen clowns kill corals from aggressive hosting. Clowns will generally stay in their areas and arent open water swimmers. Theyll only move for food and to chase other fish away from their spot.

OP
OP
Fish Think Pink

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive seen clowns kill corals from aggressive hosting. Clowns will generally stay in their areas and arent open water swimmers. Theyll only move for food and to chase other fish away from their spot.
If the clown and hippo keep it up, then yes I can see them killing some corals...

In the garden if there are deer, there are things to use... just wondering if for reef tanks there is Clown Away for corals...

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, there isn't a way to get clownfish to not try to adopt something as a host. If you want them to stay away from corals, maybe you can find a ritteri (H. magnifica) anemone since it's almost a 100% guarantee that it'll become the host anemone, assuming your clowns are all percula or ocellaris.

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol I don’t think there is much you can do , only suggestion besides removing would be creating a feed schedule away from the hosted corals with pumps off, might make them go to that side of the tank, of course it could also do nothing

OP
OP
Fish Think Pink

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ARGH clownfish update - think clown learning to dance conga - hip swing, body gyrations, fins in motion - all while on top of my left side corals... grinding away ARGH

my baby blue tang still has this clown as best friend (and often still doing same thing to corals because it STILL thinks its a clown) ... and this friendship is the only thing keeping me from setting trap and rehoming left side clown to LFS for credit

don't want more BTAs (another right side $100+ coral gone this week when BTA reached over and killed coral). Too many clowns, not enough tank(s). Just venting...

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 108 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.4%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 9 6.3%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 4 2.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back