Seeking advice on Vibrant

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you are using 1/4 recommended dosage now and are wondering if you should bump it up to 1/2. If you want to fix your problem, then use the full recommended dosage, not 1/4 or 1/2 strength.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing beats work threads for discerning truth in reefing via patterns. That’s one bad boy work thread

a sick way to use vibrant that nobody considers: don’t apply it to a wrecked tank for once in human history.

make the tank clean, remove the detritus feeding these tradeoff invasions, and kill the targets so we’re practiced on taking control of a small aquarium. Assemble a cloudless not invaded reef, then dose vibrant to prevent growback. Half as much might work then, and on much less target.

cyano won’t take over without that filth all around the tank

So if I understand, you are suggesting that Vibrant be used as an action and not a reaction... To use it as a preventative measure before the problem starts?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll never own it. Nanos can avoid issues without vibrant.

I have recommended it’s use in tanks so huge they can’t be directly managed efficiently, like Rev’s tank...he is stuck to water only actions by owning a tank so large you’d have to scuba to get into.

but for 50 and below...one drain of the top water into a brute, then we run the actions from the sand rinse thread, clean the rocks of target, and put water back? 1000x preferable to vibrant in every way and helps prevent future invasions. Using vibrant is nearly guaranteed to cause cyano challenges posts show...it contributes to accumulation in the system vs removing it

i could see certain big-challenge systems using a dual method, rip clean start and then vibrant as preventative grow back care if the invasion was really tough and grows back even after target scraping removal, but there’s just no benefit of doing vibrant to a full-mass in place invasion, it literally packs waste and rot into the sand and rocks as targets die and then are left to rot internally. for sure i have seen this mix of rotting compounds cause coral loss and tank crashes, and those have not happened one single time in our sand rinse thread / roughly 95% cure for cyano in one pass.

for clarity, in the post mentioned Vibrant didn’t kill the system...eight pounds of rotting algae cast all over the tank causing grey water sustained + retracted corals blanketed in rot for weeks crashed the rest of the system.

*I accept and legitimize any procedure that withstands work thread scrutiny and vibrant has about 300 pages of success in one thread :) so this is no slight to V and if I had a twelve foot reef tank I might own a bottle. I simply wouldn’t use it in smaller tanks because we get better and cheaper results without it

Id rate vibrant as the best doser Valonia killer I’ve ever seen, bryopsis too, for those two invasions I could see using it even in a small tank but once killed off, still do the rip clean to remove the castings.

Last edited:

ReefGrammie

Must...stay...away...from...live...sales...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Vibrant for several months for a horrible GHA outbreak, after "restarting" my tank last year. I have a 90-gallon tank, so I used 10 ml twice weekly. I also combined this with manual removal as much as possible. It took several week to really notice a difference, but when the GHA started to die off, it disappeared fairly quickly. I didn't have any coral issues, but I didn't have much coral at the time. I always trickled it in a high-flow area. If you use it, I would especially recommend that with a smaller tank. I gradually backed off on the dose to once weekly, then once every two weeks, then stopped it. I would dose it again if needed, but I hope I don't have to go down that path again. I didn't have any issues with cyano. I may have had some dinos or something starting towards the end (brown stringy stuff with bubbles), but I slowly bumped up my alk and it went away. It's been about 7 months since the GHA outbreak and my tank is crystal clear now. Good luck!

SCReef'n

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know about y’all but my bottle says 1 ml per 10 gal Every other week for a clean tank and weekly for a dirty one. Start slow but do work up to the recommended dosage and don’t over dose.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

cyano is a major problem for a majority of vibrant users. It simply compounds waste into the system, vibrant can’t clean a filthy sandbed and rocks loaded with age compounding. they outta sell vibrant and chemi clean as a double pack :)

a required, must have, you’re going to be buying it anyway down the line two pack.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 74 75.5%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back