Seeking equipment donations

Chris Baker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I am an Assistant Sailing Director for the New England Science and Sailing Foundation. As part of my job I help maintain six brackish Long Island Sound Biotope tanks in our classroom at Ocean Beach in New London. There are some pictures of the tanks in my posting history for those interested and I will try to post some more here tonight. We use the tanks to teach about water quality, scientific measurement, the local ecosystem, and to generally stoke excitement about marine science with our students. The classroom at Ocean Beach served roughly 600 New London Public School this year.

Right now our 125 gallon tank has a Marineland canister filter that is working fantastically, one has what I am guessing was a small reactor that was converted at some point to function as a canister filter, and the rest are filtered by mostly undersized hang on back filters. We have a two used powerheads and two woefully undersized nano powerheads on the tanks that are generating some flow but I would love to add a couple more to better simulate the brackish creek we are collecting our livestock from. If anyone has any old canister filters or powerheads that they are not using and would consider donating we would be very grateful.

I have also been experimenting with growing local macro algae with a black-box led that I have donated from my personal (in progress) tank set up. The light helps make the tank pop and let's us keep a broader range of herbivores. In a similar plea if you have any old lights, especially LED lights, they would allow us to use our tanks for lessons on algae and nutrient uptake and export.

We are a 501c3 nonprofit organization and can give you a receipt for your donation if you wish. If you have any interest in donating equipment feel free to post/message here or send me an email at [email protected]. Also if you are ever at Ocean Beach and our classroom is open, stop in to see our tanks! All of our animals are collected under a scientific collectors permit and come from Alewife Cove which is directly adjacent to the beach. If you want to know more about what we do our website is www.nessf.org

Thank you,
Chris Baker

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back