Seeking opinion on building a "Clam only" system

  • Thread starter Thread starter rhitee93
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

rhitee93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 21, 2023
Messages
1,476
Reaction score
2,622
Location
West Central Indiana, USA
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry for a long post. I’m thinking a couple of years into the future about what I might do with my derasa clam. I’d like to hear from people who have done a clam only/dominate tank.

A bit of back story: I’ve been fascinated with giant clams since I was a little kid. (That’s nearly 50 years ago for those of you keeping score at home) My reef was started primarily to scratch the clam itch.

My tank is about 1.5 years old now and I have a small maxima that I put in last March, and a fairly good sized derasa that I bought when the tank was one year old. Both clams are growing well and seem to be doing good. The derasa looks like it may out grow the place I have it in the near future which has had me thinking about next steps.

My tank is in my office at work and I’ll have to tear it down in less than 2 years to move to a new building. I’ll have some decisions to make at that point, but one possibility is to get something like a 24” cube tank for just the clam. Perhaps the clam tank will go to the new office and the existing tank will go home. Perhaps vice versa. Might have room for a bigger general reef tank in the new place. All of these are possible.

I’ve seen @Troy V osts on the gigas display he had for years, and the struggles with keeping a clam that large. I’d love to hear more from him and about others who have done clam dominate displays. I find this sort of tank very attractive.

How big will the derasa get? I know 24” is considered the outside max, but I haven’t seen any evidence that it will get that large in what's left of my lifetime. I see a lot of claims of 10-14” but not many photos. Will it look goofy in a 24” square tank?

I’d probably like to not have fish in this tank. Is that possible, or would I struggle to keep nutrients up? Any other peculiarities with having primarily just a clam? (I’m sure there would be some corals as well to round out the display)

This is my tank today:
PXL_20241218_154826047.jpg


Close ups of the derasa:
PXL_20241218_154038601.MP.jpg


PXL_20241206_205945435~2.jpg
 
Going to bump.

Beautiful tank.
I imagine you would actively have to supplement the system with nutrients to support the Tridacna.
Every clam I have ever had long term did better in a tank with higher N/P values.
The Waikiki Aquarium had some very large specimens, but they might be Gigas.
 
Open top so you can view from above easily! Shallow lagoon style

I've thought that this would be a good use for one of those infinity overflow type tanks so that the surface of the water would be calm and easy to see through. However, I would think keeping one of those running right would be a challenge.
 
I've thought that this would be a good use for one of those infinity overflow type tanks so that the surface of the water would be calm and easy to see through. However, I would think keeping one of those running right would be a challenge.
That sounds really cool. Yes calmer surface would be preferable. I haven't kept clams in a number of years but I think as long as the flow is decent, you don't need a lot of turbulence and you could have it flow from one end to the other steadily for a while and then switch direction. Maybe something like 10-15x turnover per hour with the sump.
 
I made a clam only system, dosed ammonia and phosphates. I eventually added fish just for nutrients.

I also made the surface agitation slow for top down viewing along with narrow angle optics on leds so the units could be placed far above the surface for even more top down access.

Be sure to QT, a sick clam wiped out my system. 60 clams overall died…
 
I should add that it becomes quite hard to manage unless tapped into a huge volume of water. The amount of calcium, alk, phosphate and nitrate you need to add is extreme, and then if the clams have an off day, which they due time to time, all those values are overdosed, which can snowball the clams into less consumption and by the time you notice, if even a couple days, the system is really out of alignment with parameters. Just something to keep in mind.
 
Thanks for your input @hart24601. I'm thinking this would be a display based around a singular larger clam, but yeah I know how that slippery slope goes. Would hate to have a loss like you describe.

I was shocked at how much the derasa I have increased my need for alk and Ca. Dosing is easy enough, but I hadn't considered what would happen if a clam paused for a few days. Good food for thought.
 
I don't think I would keep clams without fish in the system, they're the best nitrogen/food source for clams and can help keep them healthy. Definitely have a QT system for any and all incoming clams. Unseen/diagnosed pathogens will wipe out the collection faster than anything, so I wouldn't mix cultured with wild clams, but that's just me. Having some antibiotics on hand for treatment is a good idea, I just did a course of oxolinic acid on a squamosa, which I hope helped? I'll start a thread at some point to share my findings/results, as this may be something we can do to reduce known and unknown pathogens.
 
Sounds like a good case for a Ca reactor with Mg media added in with a controllable CO2 valve hooked to a monitor/testing system like a Trident. So you get alk/Ca/Mg all in one based on tank usage. This is how a ran my CaRX and it worked well with some tweaking in the Apex program to allow time for the CaRx to respond and what not with the testing intervals, day/night usage cycles etc.
 
I currently have a 50 gallon IM lagoon that is primarily clams. Right now I have 10 clams, including a large derasa.

I do keep fish with the clams, two Lionfish. They don’t seem to bother the clams and are fun to watch. Due to the high light and relatively low flow, it does grow algae like crazy and I have to clean it up/pull algae once to twice a week.

It’s plumbed into my main tank, a 230 mixed reef. That does seem to keep it more stable. I dose All-For-Reef and test alkalinity daily.
 
I should add that it becomes quite hard to manage unless tapped into a huge volume of water. The amount of calcium, alk, phosphate and nitrate you need to add is extreme, and then if the clams have an off day, which they due time to time, all those values are overdosed, which can snowball the clams into less consumption and by the time you notice, if even a couple days, the system is really out of alignment with parameters. Just something to keep in mind.
This reply is spot on.i have 6 clams, including two 6 inch size in my reefer 170 which is SPS dominant & the previously heavy alk/cal consumption is at comical level now.
2 part plus kalk overnight & I'm always upping the dose based on daily checks with hanna.
They do suck up the nutrients too.
Regular testing is key.
The balance between comsumption/dosing/overdose is something you have to monitor closely.
Clams are finicky things at times
 
From my experience you are better off owning multiple smaller clams rather than one large display specimen. When a single clam becomes the dominate feature of a reef tank the system becomes a parasite to the need of that clam. Almost like a beautiful cancer. It will literally suck the life out of your system. This is why if you decide to keep a mixed reef with SPS and certain LPS you will need to supplement with KNO3 to keep the colors vibrant. But dosing KNO3 will lead to spawning behavior in mature clams which will present its own issues. I wasn't prepared for the sheer volume of sperm and other organic matter a clam can emit. Image an ejection every 10-12 minutes from 4pm to 7:30pm every day for a week multiple time a summer from a 120+ pound specimen. This would challenge the limits of any system. Also the other organism will view the clam as a food source. Every morning belch would send food for all the fish to feed on. So it doesn't take long for the clam to become a shelter for smaller critters, which could begin to irate its mantle. I've had to remove countless fish because of this. Again this is my experience. "Mileage may vary"

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" referrerpolicy="strict-origin-when-cross-origin" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This is the 3rd week it spawned in 2020. You can see how cloudy the water is.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" referrerpolicy="strict-origin-when-cross-origin" allowfullscreen></iframe>
 
Last edited:
From my experience you are better off owning multiple smaller clams rather than one large display specimen. When a single clam becomes the dominate feature of a reef tank the system becomes a parasite to the need of that clam. Almost like a beautiful cancer. It will literally suck the life out of your system. This is why if you decide to keep a mixed reef with SPS and certain LPS you will need to supplement with KNO3 to keep the colors vibrant. But dosing KNO3 will lead to spawning behavior in mature clams which will present its own issues. I wasn't prepared for the sheer volume of sperm and other organic matter a clam can emit. Image an ejection every 10-12 minutes from 4pm to 7:30pm every day for a week multiple time a summer from a 120+ pound specimen. This would challenge the limits of any system. Also the other organism will view the clam as a food source. Every morning belch would send food for all the fish to feed on. So it doesn't take long for the clam to become a shelter for smaller critters, which could begin to irate its mantle. I've had to remove countless fish because of this. Again this is my experience. "Mileage may vary"

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" referrerpolicy="strict-origin-when-cross-origin" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This is the 3rd week it spawned in 2020. You can see how cloudy the water is.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" referrerpolicy="strict-origin-when-cross-origin" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Thank you so much for sharing this.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 12 26.7%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 16 35.6%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 5 11.1%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 6.7%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 5 11.1%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 6.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new