Select Euphyllia is dying

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 head of my purple torch died (the other head looks fine) and now my hammer isn't opening up. They have been in the tank for over 4 years. The lighting hasn't changed and the wave makers haven't moved. The frogspawn right above the hammers are fine.

Everything else seems fine! Sps js growing and extended. Acans and Zoas are fine

Alk is 8.5
Calcium is 490 (I know, I dialed back the dose)
P04 is 0.2
N03 is 5

IMG_20210729_182738.jpg IMG_20210729_182731.jpg

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK it was a guess...

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya I have had hammers lose a head then 6 months later grow 3 or 4 new ones.

ssunthar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 head of my purple torch died (the other head looks fine) and now my hammer isn't opening up. They have been in the tank for over 4 years. The lighting hasn't changed and the wave makers haven't moved. The frogspawn right above the hammers are fine.

Everything else seems fine! Sps js growing and extended. Acans and Zoas are fine

Alk is 8.5
Calcium is 490 (I know, I dialed back the dose)
P04 is 0.2
N03 is 5

IMG_20210729_182738.jpg IMG_20210729_182731.jpg
How are the corals now? Did you looked carefully in case of any flatworms could be the cause?

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flow....
I had a Duncan colony the size of a tennis ball .... readjusted my locline and didn't realize the flow was Jetstreamed hitting the backside of the colony from 18ins away. Melted away all but the front 1/4th in under 3 days.

Flow Jetstreamed in the wrong spot can take out soft tissue LPS fairly quickly

Last edited:
OP
OP
jasonrusso

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are the corals now? Did you looked carefully in case of any flatworms could be the cause?
Hammer died. I cut off the dead head off my torch and the other one is doing fine.
what salt do you use?
Tropic Marin (it is junk), but going back to Fritz when the bucket is gone.

Sharp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flow....
I had a Duncan colony the size of a tennis ball .... readjusted my locline and didn't realize the flow was Jetstreamed hitting the backside of the colony from 18ins away. Melted away all but the front 1/4th in under 3 days.

Flow Jetstreamed in the wrong spot can take out soft tissue LPS fairly quickly
+1. I had 2 Heliofungia corals that nearly died when I increased my flow. They were protected by rockwork and the powerheads were more than 20 inches away. Are your other Euphyllias doing okay now?

OP
OP
jasonrusso

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1. I had 2 Heliofungia corals that nearly died when I increased my flow. They were protected by rockwork and the powerheads were more than 20 inches away. Are your other Euphyllias doing okay now?
Yes, after I cut the dead torch head it's fine and my frogspawns are huge.

Sharp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, after I cut the dead torch head it's fine and my frogspawns are huge.
Thats good to hear. Sorry for reviving an old thread. I didnt look at the date until after I posted. oops. Just wanted to share my experience incase it helps someone.

OP
OP
jasonrusso

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats good to hear. Sorry for reviving an old thread. I didnt look at the date until after I posted. oops. Just wanted to share my experience incase it helps someone.
It's not that old, lol. I'm still a little miffed that my hammer died for no apparent reason. It was one of my first 2 corals. The other being my GSP that has reinvented itself several times

Sharp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not that old, lol. I'm still a little miffed that my hammer died for no apparent reason. It was one of my first 2 corals. The other being my GSP that has reinvented itself several times
I have had that too in the past haha. I had two torches randomly die on me after doing well for ages. I think it must have been a very quick change in chemistry. Any chance that could have happened to you?

OP
OP
jasonrusso

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had that too in the past haha. I had two torches randomly die on me after doing well for ages. I think it must have been a very quick change in chemistry. Any chance that could have happened to you?
I'm sure that SOMETHING happened. But why would it only affect 1 torch head? Why the hammer and not the frogspawn?

ssunthar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure that SOMETHING happened. But why would it only affect 1 torch head? Why the hammer and not the frogspawn?
I am guessing that you already ensured that there were no coral eating creatures which did that... Did you also checked if it could have been the BJD (brown jelly disease)? BJD could infect and kill many types of softies.

Back