Self-Inflicted Reef Tank Crisis

reefpunk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

I'm in a bit of a crisis with my reef tank, and it's all my doing. Here's what's been happening:

About a week ago, I was dealing with an Aiptasia issue in my tank. In an attempt to address it, I decided to use vinegar. At that time, I wasn't aware that some reef keepers use vinegar for carbon dosing. It was only after a conversation with a friend that I learned about the unintended carbon dosing impact. Regrettably, this inadvertent carbon dosing led to a bacterial bloom in my tank, which, in turn, caused a significant drop in pH.

Two days later, I further compounded the problem by accidentally overdosing calcium, resulting in calcium levels soaring to 600+. Realizing the danger, I promptly performed a water change to lower the calcium levels.

Around the same time, my corals started looking unhappy, but nothing seemed too alarming. Then, two days ago, I noticed black ich on one of my fish, so I decided to treat it with praziquantel (prazi). Unfortunately, things took a nosedive after that. My SPS corals are showing signs of Rapid Tissue Necrosis (RTN), and my LPS corals have contracted Brown Jelly Disease (BJD). It's affecting approximately 80% of my corals, and it came on very fast.

Here are my water parameters as of 1hr ago:

• Calcium: 450
  • Phosphate: somewhere between 0 and 0.25
  • Nitrate: 15
  • Alkalinity: 8.6
  • Magnesium: 1440
  • Salinity: 1.026
  • Temperature: 77°F
  • pH: 8.0
I'm now contemplating dosing the tank with ciprofloxacin and amoxicillin to address BJD and RTN affecting my corals. Some of these corals are 4-5 years old, and I've had some success using cipro in the past for treating BJD. Thinking about going nuclear with the antibiotics to try and save what I can. Any advice is highly appreciated.

BairCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try oxolinic acid. Here's the treatment I found
Screenshot_20231028_071444_Chrome.jpg

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
adding things to the tank caused the problem, to me, the solution is not adding more things.

I don't know how large your tank is, but its the weekend so I would start working on water changes. Nothing in a bottle will help as much as 3-4 large water changes.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

I'm in a bit of a crisis with my reef tank, and it's all my doing. Here's what's been happening:

About a week ago, I was dealing with an Aiptasia issue in my tank. In an attempt to address it, I decided to use vinegar. At that time, I wasn't aware that some reef keepers use vinegar for carbon dosing. It was only after a conversation with a friend that I learned about the unintended carbon dosing impact. Regrettably, this inadvertent carbon dosing led to a bacterial bloom in my tank, which, in turn, caused a significant drop in pH.

Two days later, I further compounded the problem by accidentally overdosing calcium, resulting in calcium levels soaring to 600+. Realizing the danger, I promptly performed a water change to lower the calcium levels.

Around the same time, my corals started looking unhappy, but nothing seemed too alarming. Then, two days ago, I noticed black ich on one of my fish, so I decided to treat it with praziquantel (prazi). Unfortunately, things took a nosedive after that. My SPS corals are showing signs of Rapid Tissue Necrosis (RTN), and my LPS corals have contracted Brown Jelly Disease (BJD). It's affecting approximately 80% of my corals, and it came on very fast.

I'm now contemplating dosing the tank with ciprofloxacin and amoxicillin to address BJD and RTN affecting my corals. Some of these corals are 4-5 years old, and I've had some success using cipro in the past for treating BJD. Thinking about going nuclear with the antibiotics to try and save what I can. Any advice is highly appreciated.
I guess that you've learned to ask here before doing things.

What you need to do now is STOP ADDING THINGS.

You are just making things worse.

You simply need to do water changes to help the coral.

BairCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I've never seen water changes save bjd or rtn. I watched an episode of reefbum with Chris meckley who had a rtn/stn and bjd outbreak where oxolinic acid was used and cured the whole tank. Personally I think water changes is going to be expensive and just end up watching the tank decline to total crash. Just my opinion of course, and just here to try and help

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hey everyone,

For starters- Stop dosing what you are unsure of as vinegar will drop alk and other important nutrients i a hurry and is acidic. Cipro best left for human use will not address aptasia and will have an adverse effect on certain coral.
For aptasia, if a few. . . . . Using a syringe or pipette, inject either lemon juice or better yet. . kalkwasser powder mixed with tank water into a paste the consistency of toothpaste and inject into the very center core and it will melt away
Other option is a
Kleini Butterfly BUT must be the bluehead- NOT the yellow version. The yellow will go after coral too but bluehead as pictured will eat aptasia like candy, then eat all dry and frozen food offered, colorful, friendly and stays small. I will note that a couple of persons who got the blue had their kleini nip zoa. if so- easy sell, or place in sump as aptasia have likely made it down there already

1669774874713.png

scottberto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Focus on solving one problem at a time. Fix the additives issue with water changes, then fix the possible illnesses after the water is additive free.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the losses OP. You are suffering in the land of unintended consequences. I would slow down a bit. A couple thoughts:
a) A calcium overdose is no big deal I promise. I butt dialed a liter of calcium one night. Had to clean up heaters/pumps etc but no losses. b) Invest in a Hanna ULR Phosphate checker and shoot for .1 or so. c) Ich I would hook up the best UV you can afford d) Do not indiscriminately kill off your bacteria population. You will be stacking on more unintended consequences for sure. e) I am probably in the minority on this opinion, but I view BJD as a RESULT of tissue necrosis -- not as a cause of it. They are marine maggots. The flies on the carcass did not kill the roadkill.

Slow it down and let the system stabilize like it was designed to do.

OP
OP
R

reefpunk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My display is 150 gallons, and my sump is 60 gallons. After posting this thread last night, I was considering trying to do what I can to save the tank with antibiotics, but I held off. Judging by what I saw this morning, they wouldn't have helped anyway. It was a harsh sight - all my coral had perished. The only survivors are my zoas and a few mushrooms. I lost my prized 24k torch colony with over 15 heads and several other torch corals I've been caring for over two years. It's a pretty tough moment, and I'm seriously thinking about giving up on the whole saltwater hobby. I live in the northern part of Canada, where corals are quite expensive. So, losing all my coral probably means I'm done with this hobby. It's a harsh reality that I killed thousands of dollars' worth of coral and all the time I've invested in this. I acted on impulse without doing enough research. I was hoping someone might have a miracle solution because it felt like my whole world came crashing down. Thanks to everyone for the responses and advice. And for anyone reading this down the road, make sure to do your homework before messing with your tank. You can lose years of hard work in just a day.

OP
OP
R

reefpunk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For starters- Stop dosing what you are unsure of as vinegar will drop alk and other important nutrients i a hurry and is acidic. Cipro best left for human use will not address aptasia and will have an adverse effect on certain coral.
For aptasia, if a few. . . . . Using a syringe or pipette, inject either lemon juice or better yet. . kalkwasser powder mixed with tank water into a paste the consistency of toothpaste and inject into the very center core and it will melt away
Other option is a
Kleini Butterfly BUT must be the bluehead- NOT the yellow version. The yellow will go after coral too but bluehead as pictured will eat aptasia like candy, then eat all dry and frozen food offered, colorful, friendly and stays small. I will note that a couple of persons who got the blue had their kleini nip zoa. if so- easy sell, or place in sump as aptasia have likely made it down there already

1669774874713.png
Thank you for your response, Vettguy. There might have been a misunderstanding regarding my previous post, as cipro was never intended for the treatment of aiptasia. My consideration was directed toward its potential use for dealing with BJD and RTN issues. However, it is now evident that it is too late, and my coral have unfortunately died. Your time and response are greatly appreciated.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My display is 150 gallons, and my sump is 60 gallons. After posting this thread last night, I was considering trying to do what I can to save the tank with antibiotics, but I held off. Judging by what I saw this morning, they wouldn't have helped anyway. It was a harsh sight - all my coral had perished. The only survivors are my zoas and a few mushrooms. I lost my prized 24k torch colony with over 15 heads and several other torch corals I've been caring for over two years. It's a pretty tough moment, and I'm seriously thinking about giving up on the whole saltwater hobby. I live in the northern part of Canada, where corals are quite expensive. So, losing all my coral probably means I'm done with this hobby. It's a harsh reality that I killed thousands of dollars' worth of coral and all the time I've invested in this. I acted on impulse without doing enough research. I was hoping someone might have a miracle solution because it felt like my whole world came crashing down. Thanks to everyone for the responses and advice. And for anyone reading this down the road, make sure to do your homework before messing with your tank. You can lose years of hard work in just a day.
I'm so sorry! I can't tell you if you should stay in the hobby (sometimes things happen and we use the opportunity to simplify our lives or focus on other priorities, and that's 100% ok), but if you do restart/rebuild, many people here are very generous and might ship you some frags...

Again, I'm sorry for your losses.

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's not a person that's spent any time in this hobby that hasn't lost 1,000s in coral whether it's all at once or over time. I've learned to accept it as most have as the price of doing business. I've also learned if something is checking out to let it go and not try to intervene and cause more issues for myself and other corals. You've already got your system so just run fish only for awhile. I've personally sworn off buying any new coral. If it dies it's not being replaced. Between constantly fighting pests and disease the constant testing and dosing it's just not worth it to me. You've got a nice size tank and will have a huge selection of other things that will thrive in a tank that size.

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t give up this hobby is hard at times what about going fish only so you still get the amazing saltwater fish and no hassle of corals so you can just enjoy your hobby

OP
OP
R

reefpunk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got into this hobby because I love coral, and it's what's kept me interested. Fish are fun, but they don't excite me the way watching my corals burst with color and growth does. I'd rather not have a tank at all than go for an FOWLR setup. Some folks are okay without coral, and that's fine, but for me and many others, this hobby is all about admiring the beauty of these amazing underwater gems.

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get it but just accept the fact that you will always be spending money on corals and they will keep dying and you'll be ok.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get it but just accept the fact that you will always be spending money on corals and they will keep dying and you'll be ok.
I think everyone can see that a coral dying once in a while is different from what the OP experienced.

BairCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry they didn't pull through, hate to see someone loose all their hard work and dedication... it's not easy being a reefer, and I know each and every one of us know that. Hate to see you go, I hope one day you come back and fall in love with it again. Even if it's a tank a quarter of the size.
Mistakes happen, we're only human. I hope you don't beat yourself up, learning is 100% of this hobby. I'd just store the tank and equipment somewhere, and one day you'll look at it and be like, "dang... I was really good at that. I miss those colorful little ******* children. I think I'll get it going again" just like an old car or somethin.

Learn and live my friend, and my biggest condolences

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%

Back