Self-Inflicted Reef Tank Crisis

TheGrimReeferTx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear your loss. I know it can be heartbreaking, but give it some time before deciding to give up on the hobby. The loss it too fresh to make that decision. But if you do end up calling it quits I get it.... Again sorry for the loss....

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got into this hobby because I love coral, and it's what's kept me interested. Fish are fun, but they don't excite me the way watching my corals burst with color and growth does. I'd rather not have a tank at all than go for an FOWLR setup. Some folks are okay without coral, and that's fine, but for me and many others, this hobby is all about admiring the beauty of these amazing underwater gems.
Sorry to hear what happened.

Don't make a rash decision - just put the decision aside for a month or two.

If you strip everything and cash out, you may well regret it later and end up spending a lot more money.

Chuck out the dead and nurse what you have.

In a couple of months you will be able to make a calm rational decision about where you want to go next.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My display is 150 gallons, and my sump is 60 gallons. After posting this thread last night, I was considering trying to do what I can to save the tank with antibiotics, but I held off. Judging by what I saw this morning, they wouldn't have helped anyway. It was a harsh sight - all my coral had perished. The only survivors are my zoas and a few mushrooms. I lost my prized 24k torch colony with over 15 heads and several other torch corals I've been caring for over two years. It's a pretty tough moment, and I'm seriously thinking about giving up on the whole saltwater hobby. I live in the northern part of Canada, where corals are quite expensive. So, losing all my coral probably means I'm done with this hobby. It's a harsh reality that I killed thousands of dollars' worth of coral and all the time I've invested in this. I acted on impulse without doing enough research. I was hoping someone might have a miracle solution because it felt like my whole world came crashing down. Thanks to everyone for the responses and advice. And for anyone reading this down the road, make sure to do your homework before messing with your tank. You can lose years of hard work in just a day.
Sympathies - sorry to hear it

OP
OP
R

reefpunk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I've decided to stick with the saltwater hobby. Turns out, no one was up for adopting my zebra eel. Not a local hobbyist or even the fish store in town wanted him, probably because eels aren't very sought after around here. I brought him home over four years ago when he was only 11 inches long, and now he's stretched out to a solid 30 inches. Despite the challenges, I've grown quite attached to this slippery fellow. I won't consider euthanizing him; it wouldn't be fair to the animal. I feel a responsibility to provide the best care possible since I brought him home. I'll be in the hobby for as long as he's thriving.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I've decided to stick with the saltwater hobby. Turns out, no one was up for adopting my zebra eel. Not a local hobbyist or even the fish store in town wanted him, probably because eels aren't very sought after around here. I brought him home over four years ago when he was only 11 inches long, and now he's stretched out to a solid 30 inches. Despite the challenges, I've grown quite attached to this slippery fellow. I won't consider euthanizing him; it wouldn't be fair to the animal. I feel a responsibility to provide the best care possible since I brought him home. I'll be in the hobby for as long as he's thriving.
Good for you, take care of that guy, he appreciates it.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FOWLR tanks are fun too!

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, i feel you. I took a 10 year hiatus after losing everything (not just the aquariums, I mean everything) to a massive hurricane. Came back to the hobby, learned a ton, and have way nicer systems now than I ever dreamed possible back then :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back