Self Starting overflow siphon

Lance A. Lot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have a DIY PVC overflow that they like? Does anyone have a link to a restarting over the back overflow design. I have been trying a few out and haven't had a lot of luck. I need one that can sit dormant for several weeks before it is needed. The goal is to have it as an emergency overflow on a very large kreisel. Occasionally the normal overflow screens get clogged with very large jellyfish and the tank (very slowly) fills up and overflows. I have used a few designs that "restart" after a very brief siphon break but none that restart 2 weeks later.

bradleym

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would almost think a pump with a reversed float switch would be more reliable. Most solutions are built to maintain siphon, so I would be surprised if there was one that would allow for a broken siphon for two weeks. Following in case there is one, as it could be useful.

OP
OP
Lance A. Lot

Lance A. Lot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would almost think a pump with a reversed float switch would be more reliable. Most solutions are built to maintain siphon, so I would be surprised if there was one that would allow for a broken siphon for two weeks. Following in case there is one, as it could be useful.
Yes, but the entirety of the interior of the kreisel is viewable. Even a small submersible pump is out of the question. I have proposed drilling the side and using clear PVC but that is a last resort.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back