OP
S

Saltlyseas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not for me, I enjoy the tinkering and testing that goes along with a reef tank. I think a SS tank would lead me to be lazy about it and probably set me up for failure.

By SS do you mean no waterchanges? Dosing? Automation???
~By SS do you mean no waterchanges? Dosing? Automation???
Yes. Not having to add anything, so that it is to the point of, or as close as possible, to a natural reef.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted no although I think my tank is a close to self sustaining as it can be. All I have to do is mix up a batch of saltwater every 2 weeks, feed the fish in the evening, and clean the glass about once a week.

I don't believe that a completely self sustaining reef tank exists.

Oh I forgot about filling up dosing containers and emptying the trident waste container each month. Plus I will occasionally test for Nitrate and phosphate. I'm sure there are more things I'm overlooking.

KC's CNC Creations

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i've heard a LOT of folks talk about their self sufficient tanks over the years, and every single one i've seen looked like it had been horribly neglected for years with several inches of GHA everywhere and a sandbed that looked like a cesspool so i wouldn't put too much thought into anyone's claim of self sufficiency.

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not going for self sufficient as I'm not sure that is possible to have with a thriving and healthy tank. What I'm going for with my new build is automation of what I can reasonably achieve. I'll have the ato and am going to set up awc. I'll still have to test unless I get the neptune trident which I might, and then test no3 and po4. Still have to stir sandbed and/or vacuum and clean glass etc. Automating the water changes will be a huge time saver and hopefully keep the tank more stable instead of a bigger 10 or 20% change

Oh, and still have to dose

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not going for self sufficient as I'm not sure that is possible to have with a thriving and healthy tank. What I'm going for with my new build is automation of what I can reasonably achieve. I'll have the ato and am going to set up awc. I'll still have to test unless I get the neptune trident which I might, and then test no3 and po4. Still have to stir sandbed and/or vacuum and clean glass etc. Automating the water changes will be a huge time saver and hopefully keep the tank more stable instead of a bigger 10 or 20% change

Oh, and still have to dose
I couldn't agree more. I try to automate the parts that I hate doing. I figured if I'm required to do them I will eventually start slacking and they won't get done. If they're automated they will get done as they should.
PS I recently got a apex/trident/dos after wanting them for about a year. I really like the trident and the dos. If not for those 2 I would regret having bought the apex.

littlebeard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it's possible to be 100% self sufficient. Equipment breaks, life happens.

I automate for 2 reasons.
a) Add a redundancy to my system.
b) reduce grunt work(moving water around etc.)

However it is important to note that to every automation system you add there is another point of failure that will inevitably fail when you're on vacation in a way you didn't expect or prepare for.

I would like to automate more, but there is a cost/benefit ratio that must be considered. I could add an automatic water changing system, however that would require substantial work in running the plumbing through my house. Running a python to my basement sink saves me a few thousand it would take to properly run it to my tank. Right now I'd rather spend that on corals and fish.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.4%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 28 16.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 74 43.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back