Selling Carribean Stony Coral Legally?

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I know that the general collection and sale of stony corals of the Carribean is illegal. However I do know it is common, and legal, for the coral to be sent on aquacultured live rock collected from the Gulf.

So here’s my question, if one was to order aquacultured rock that had these corals, and was able to grow them and successfully frag them, could the frags be legally sold? Or since they are still a prohibited species (though legally collected), it would be illegal to sell frags of them?

Thanks for any responses!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
So I know that the general collection and sale of stony corals of the Carribean is illegal. However I do know it is common, and legal, for the coral to be sent on aquacultured live rock collected from the Gulf.

So here’s my question, if one was to order aquacultured rock that had these corals, and was able to grow them and successfully frag them, could the frags be legally sold? Or since they are still a prohibited species (though legally collected), it would be illegal to sell frags of them?

Yes- you purchased the pieces from a likely licensed collector/shipper. You legally own the rock and contents

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats on the seller of the rock. . LOL
Sort of. It's like saying "From time to time I receive pottery from South America and occasionally it contains cocaine, which while not expressly prohibited is often frowned upon. Can I cut and re-sell it?"

If I was importing the rock directly I'd want to make sure it was legal to do so and have all my ducks in a line...

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sort of. It's like saying "From time to time I receive pottery from South America and occasionally it contains cocaine, which while not expressly prohibited is often frowned upon. Can I cut and re-sell it?"

If I was importing the rock directly I'd want to make sure it was legal to do so and have all my ducks in a line...
The rock is legal and so is the coral on it. Reselling the coral is not.
From my understanding is that this is leased land and everything on the rock thats collected is ok.
@Gulf Live Rock
@Eagle_Steve

OP
OP
Reefing102

Reefing102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the replies so far!

@sfin52 that is my understanding as well. Since the rock is collected for the sale of the rock and not the coral, anything that’s on the rock is legal to have since it was legally purchased, I just don’t think it’s legal to resell.

@blaxsun I do like that analogy

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Even if you "traded" them and they were cut and grown on frag discs, the new owner might have to prove that they came on legally collected rock if say stopped by law enforcement for a bad break light coming back from your house.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even if you "traded" them and they were cut and grown on frag discs, the new owner might have to prove that they came on legally collected rock if say stopped by law enforcement for a bad break light coming back from your house.
Thats if they knew what they where looking at.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
this brings up a related and tangent issue. If the corals are endangered, why is the reproduction illegal? I get it that they want to discourage illegal collecting and subsequent sales, but politics aside, it’s in our best interest to dig into this a lil deeper…
I’d love to see elkhorn frags on the tables and soon

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think people have made this point, but to give an example:

I have proof I bought a cat from a licensed breeder/seller. I now possess it lawfully— It can run around my house all day long. But I cannot in turn list it again for sale and sell it, much less breed it and sell the kittens. I am not licensed to do so. ;)

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this brings up a related and tangent issue. If the corals are endangered, why is the reproduction illegal? I get it that they want to discourage illegal collecting and subsequent sales, but politics aside, it’s in our best interest to dig into this a lil deeper…
I’d love to see elkhorn frags on the tables and soon
I think people have made this point, but to give an example:

I have proof I bought a cat from a licensed breeder/seller. I now possess it lawfully— It can run around my house all day long. But I cannot in turn list it again for sale and sell it, much less breed it and sell the kittens. I am not licensed to do so. ;)
Exactly. Much like Atlantic salmon, there are endangered Atlantic salmon native runs in Maine, but you can still raise Atlantic salmon in culture situations provided you get the proper papers, etc.

Florida Live rock is another good example, became illegal, entrepreneurs made a case about culturing rock, now we have cultured live rock.

OP
OP
Reefing102

Reefing102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really do appreciate all of the replies. I may research more to see about licensing.

One More And I’m Out. Is Failure An Option?

• Yes

Votes: 34 15.0%
  • No

Votes: 168 74.0%
  • Unsure

Votes: 25 11.0%
Back