selling frags... is it worth it??

Lingwendil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^ that's another reason I don't ship.

I also do meetups at commonly known locations, often a well-known LFS or electronics type store, no meeting at a guy's house, no coming to me, unless it's very special circumstances (mutual friend, large amount/size of gear that would be prohibitive otherwise) and I usually bring a friend. If something smells fishy I don't do the deal. Never agree to anything until it's 100%.

I also only do cash, no trades unless it's as-is, no guarantee cheap stuff. No warranty or guarantee. You need to know hat you're doing if you deal with me. I tell you how it was raised, any potential issues or pests, and recommend quarantine on all livestock. Buy it or don't, I'll just sell it to someone else, sooner or later :)

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you live in/near a big city, I suggest joining a local club and selling/trading there. That way you get to know who you're dealing with and avoid shipping which doesn't always pan out.

JBKReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've started to run into space issues within my tank, those easier growing corals taking over and not allow space for some of my LPS and zoas. I was lucky enough my LFS would allow trade ins for store credit. I would say its probably 50-60% of what they sell it for, but for me wanting to try to just break even with salt, meds, food, and reagent I'm more than happy to establish that kind of relationship.

OP
OP
Cassian

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've started to run into space issues within my tank, those easier growing corals taking over and not allow space for some of my LPS and zoas. I was lucky enough my LFS would allow trade ins for store credit. I would say its probably 50-60% of what they sell it for, but for me wanting to try to just break even with salt, meds, food, and reagent I'm more than happy to establish that kind of relationship.

thats a good idea as well. ill have to ask my lfs

twerdine92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've found that selling frags is a good way to justify buying some of the more expensive thing frags that I buy. If I buy an $80 frag of zoa and have 3-4 polyps in 2-3 months and make my money back on 1 polyp, everything else is just new frag money (or salt, upgrades, etc). It's helped a ton, I've been able to buy a lot more coral due to fragging and selling locally.

It all depends on your area that you're in as well. I'm in a good location for this hobby. There's always someone looking to buy frags. I also grow out a ton of more common stuff, too. That will sell fast with newer hobbiest, and they get a good variety of color for cheaper.

Reefltx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I didn't "want" to spread the corals around and try and help promote the hobby I would say it would be easier and nearly as cost effective to throw some of them in the woods behind my house. I'm trying some different ideas to help make it easier and less labor intensive so we'll see how it pans out.

There's my experience and honest assessment!

Haha.. I’ve done just that.
Although, I do like to give some away to my LFS.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back