selling frags... is it worth it??

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So ive got a 65 gallon reef tank that I set up last year. I'm pretty experienced with reefs and saltwater fish. I had a 125 gallon before this tank, but it leaked and I got out of the hobby for about a year. I have done coral propagation before, but not very much of it. I plan to have a large reef in my 65 gallon tank and I'm wondering if its worth selling frags? I know you won't get rich from it, but I was thinking it would at least help pay for the upkeep. This would also be a good way to trim my corals when they get too large. what is yalls opinion on selling frags?

Anirban

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Selling frags is not bad. You can use the money like you said to maintain the reef. People do it alot and also it helps with trimming the colonies too.

OP
OP
Cassian

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that is true @andrewkw
what kind tend to sell the best in yalls opinion? or does it vary? im thinking of having lots of LPS, SPS and zoas

acro-ed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I've gone back and forth a few times in the hobby. Years ago I had two frag tanks and was selling a lot, then work and family got in the way and I sold off all that stuff and drastically downsized. A few years ago I got a new tank and basically started over (I still kept certain corals from before but sold most of it off).

I told myself "this time" I am doing it just for my own viewing pleasure but now the growth is making it impossible. I have to trim the corals otherwise I will end up losing some of them as they overtake each other.

I've been trying to stagger it so that I frag and sell in waves, and also primarily online so I don't have too many strangers coming over now that I have a family. It's definitely added work, so it's not free money. Once you factor in glue, plugs, boxes, heat packs, bags, shipping, paypal fees, etc. and then look at the time it takes to work in the tank and pack them on shipping day it doesn't look like a great proposition.

If I didn't "want" to spread the corals around and try and help promote the hobby I would say it would be easier and nearly as cost effective to throw some of them in the woods behind my house. I'm trying some different ideas to help make it easier and less labor intensive so we'll see how it pans out.

There's my experience and honest assessment!

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that is true @andrewkw
what kind tend to sell the best in yalls opinion? or does it vary? im thinking of having lots of LPS, SPS and zoas

Since you're not even sure you want to do it, why not just start selling when your corals overgrow your tank. Then if you enjoy it you can move onto other things. Local trends vary from location to location. I used to sell frags all the time, but now I live in the middle of no where and there are very few reefers. I still require a frag tank for the odd time I sell frags, trade them or if I need to isolate something, I want to move something, or in my case since there is low activity I can use it as qt as well ect. Plus it's home to 25 or 30 neon toadstools that would otherwise be floating around my display tank if I didn't have a coral overflow (frag) tank.

OP
OP
Cassian

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've gone back and forth a few times in the hobby. Years ago I had two frag tanks and was selling a lot, then work and family got in the way and I sold off all that stuff and drastically downsized. A few years ago I got a new tank and basically started over (I still kept certain corals from before but sold most of it off).

I told myself "this time" I am doing it just for my own viewing pleasure but now the growth is making it impossible. I have to trim the corals otherwise I will end up losing some of them as they overtake each other.

I've been trying to stagger it so that I frag and sell in waves, and also primarily online so I don't have too many strangers coming over now that I have a family. It's definitely added work, so it's not free money. Once you factor in glue, plugs, boxes, heat packs, bags, shipping, paypal fees, etc. and then look at the time it takes to work in the tank and pack them on shipping day it doesn't look like a great proposition.

If I didn't "want" to spread the corals around and try and help promote the hobby I would say it would be easier and nearly as cost effective to throw some of them in the woods behind my house. I'm trying some different ideas to help make it easier and less labor intensive so we'll see how it pans out.

There's my experience and honest assessment!

Thanks for your reply! I agree that is almost as cost effective to throw them out. lol. but I really hate to do that with a frag that could be worth $100. ill have to add up how much boxes and materials would be.

OP
OP
Cassian

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you're not even sure you want to do it, why not just start selling when your corals overgrow your tank. Then if you enjoy it you can move onto other things. Local trends vary from location to location. I used to sell frags all the time, but now I live in the middle of no where and there are very few reefers. I still require a frag tank for the odd time I sell frags, trade them or if I need to isolate something, I want to move something, or in my case since there is low activity I can use it as qt as well ect. Plus it's home to 25 or 30 neon toadstools that would otherwise be floating around my display tank if I didn't have a coral overflow (frag) tank.

That would probably be the best way to test and see if I want to do it. but I won't be able to have a separate frag tank and I will be strictly online sales because im in a rural area and I dont want strangers in my house. can you do it with out having a frag tank?

Lingwendil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back when I did it, I primarily sold locally, as shipping was not easy for me to get around to in a timely manner. I made enough money off of it to not spend any money on my hobby. I would say it's worth it, especially if you like gear and unique setups. I used a cheap 80 gallon livestock water tub and hung some cheap second hand lights over it to start, and before I know it I was getting great growth on smaller LPS and easier SPS. It wasn't worth it to go for the really high end stuff unless it grew really fast. It depends on what is popular in your market. Ask around with local guys as to what they are most likely to buy, and ask shops what sells best. The answers might surprise you.

Duncans, candy canes, and GSP were my most popular sellers, followed by montipora and chalice varieties, and not really anything fancy either. I could hardly sell Zoas at all, nobody was all that interested interested, or they grew too slowly to dedicate enough space to them. This was in the California central valley (Modesto) area.

OP
OP
Cassian

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back when I did it, I primarily sold locally, as shipping was not easy for me to get around to in a timely manner. I made enough money off of it to not spend any money on my hobby. I would say it's worth it, especially if you like gear and unique setups. I used a cheap 80 gallon livestock water tub and hung some cheap second hand lights over it to start, and before I know it I was getting great growth on smaller LPS and easier SPS. It wasn't worth it to go for the really high end stuff unless it grew really fast. It depends on what is popular in your market. Ask around with local guys as to what they are most likely to buy, and ask shps what sells best. The answers might surprise you.

Duncans, candy canes, and GSP were my most popular sellers, followed by montipora and chalice varieties, and not really anything fancy either. I could hardly sell Zoas at all, nobody was all that interested interested, or they grew too slowly to dedicate enough space to them. This was in the California central valley (Modesto) area.
thank for the advice!

OP
OP
Cassian

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back when I did it, I primarily sold locally, as shipping was not easy for me to get around to in a timely manner. I made enough money off of it to not spend any money on my hobby. I would say it's worth it, especially if you like gear and unique setups. I used a cheap 80 gallon livestock water tub and hung some cheap second hand lights over it to start, and before I know it I was getting great growth on smaller LPS and easier SPS. It wasn't worth it to go for the really high end stuff unless it grew really fast. It depends on what is popular in your market. Ask around with local guys as to what they are most likely to buy, and ask shops what sells best. The answers might surprise you.

did you have to dose your frag tub?

Lingwendil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
did you have to dose your frag tub?

weekly water changes (25-30% or so) and topoff water that I added kalkwasser mix to depending on measured levels. Otherwise it was very low maintenance, so long as I didn't let things grow out of control and start smothering eachother. I had an "outbreak" of hair algae once after a heatwave, and added a sea hare to get rid of it. I fed heavy the night before water change day, and every other once in a while as I felt the need. I did not attempt to have perfect water chemistry, and found higher nutrient levels were actually better for growth to an extent.

Highly recommended project, especially if you get a good deal on a scratched up used tank, or a big heavy plastic livetock water tub. Other than the sheer size of needing larger equipment to support it, it's no different than a display tank, if anything a little easier because it doesn't matter anywhere near as much how it looks. Lighting is cheap if you go shallow, too. If it isn't in your living space (like maybe in a garage) you can use cheaper used equipment that may be ugly, noisy, etc.

OP
OP
Cassian

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
weekly water changes (25-30% or so) and topoff water that I added kalkwasser mix to depending on measured levels. Otherwise it was very low maintenance, so long as I didn't let things grow out of control and start smothering eachother. I had an "outbreak" of hair algae once after a heatwave, and added a sea hare to get rid of it. I fed heavy the night before water change day, and every other once in a while as I felt the need. I did not attempt to have perfect water chemistry, and found higher nutrient levels were actually better for growth to an extent.

Highly recommended project, especially if you get a good deal on a scratched up used tank, or a big heavy plastic livetock water tub. Other than the sheer size of needing larger equipment to support it, it's no different than a display tank, if anything a little easier because it doesn't matter anywhere near as much how it looks. Lighting is cheap if you go shallow, too. If it isn't in your living space (like maybe in a garage) you can use cheaper used equipment that may be ugly, noisy, etc.

thanks for the suggestions! ill consider this method. I have a basement that would be a perfect spot for this. :)

sawdonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before my old tank crashed due to my neighbor’s fire, it was packed with SPS and I couldn’t sell frags fast enough, at least locally anyway. Even then, I was making $500 to $1k per month and I was hooking people up, big time. Like buy a frag pack with a 8-10 named corals for $200, but after you leave my house, most probably walked away with 15 frags. Plus they were often very large because they sat in my growout area for long periods.

I like hooking people up and it also covered my costs and then some. If/when my tank is grown out again, I’ll probably do the same.

OP
OP
Cassian

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before my old tank crashed due to my neighbor’s fire, it was packed with SPS and I couldn’t sell frags fast enough, at least locally anyway. Even then, I was making $500 to $1k per month and I was hooking people up, big time. Like buy a frag pack with a 8-10 named corals for $200, but after you leave my house, most probably walked away with 15 frags. Plus they were often very large because they sat in my growout area for long periods.

I like hooking people up and it also covered my costs and then some. If/when my tank is grown out again, I’ll probably do the same.
wow! thats really cool! thanks!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 33.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 16.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back