Seneye as Handheld PAR Meter

JamesP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased a Seneye Reef Monitor because of the integrated PAR sensor. I follow the Bulk Reef Supply videos and took notice as to how accurate it is compared to some much pricier units. The only problem is it needs to plug into a USB port for power and it also must be a PC running Windows so it can run the Seneye connect software. The software itself has good reporting under the PAR section and shows lots of good data such as PAR, LUX, Kelvin, PUR, and even graphically depicts the spectrum. So the challenge was how do I make this into a small easy to use handheld unit while still keeping the cost down. I wanted to take a moment to share my solution with the reefing community.

First I ordered a 5' length of 5/16" fiberglass rod from Amazon and cut it to my desired length. I removed the front plastic slide holder from the Seneye so it will not trap water and will reduce the time for the sensor to dry when not in use. Using cable ties from Lowes, I strapped the sensor to the rod as can be seen in the image. I also strapped the cable every few inches going up the rod. This completed the sensor/wand assembly.

Second I ordered a Winbook 7" TW700 tablet used from eBay for very cheap. I selected this particular model because it was cheap, had a full copy of Windows 8.1, and had a full sized USB port to attach the Seneye. At 7" it is also the appropriate size for this application. I loaded it with Seneye Connect and flipped the display vertically in the Windows control panel so the USB port is on the bottom to reduce the chance of water getting into the port when the Seneye is attached. I created a non admin local Windows account named seneye.user and set it to auto login and added a custom AutoHotkey script to the startup folder for that user. When the tablet boots it logs in and goes right into the Seneye software and the script maximizes the application and simulates click actions to navigate to the PAR meter within the application automatically. If I click away from the PAR meter on accident the script can detect that based on pixel colors at specific coordinates and will click back into the PAR meter with no user input required. This is designed to be a dedicated PAR meter. If anybody shows interest I can post the script.

I ordered a TFY Padded Hand-Strap from Amazon and attached it to the back of the unit. This allows me to hold it in my left hand while taking readings with my right using the sensor/wand assembly. When I have finished taking readings I press and hold the power button on the side for a few seconds and the unit shuts down gracefully and powers down the Seneye with it. It rarely needs charging and when it does I just plug it in to my phone charger for a couple hours and the put it back in storage with the rest of my equipment. I keep it stored with a charge so it is ready when I need it. Overall I am quite happy and the rich readout on the display is something no other PAR meter I have seen can provide, especially considering I spent under $300 for everything.

sensor.jpg

tablet.jpg

strap.jpg

complete.jpg

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I really appreciate the review butt I am looking to get the seneye par meter but only have macbook pro and ipad. If I can get a cheap tablet as you mentioned I can still use it for flying my drone or having as designated monitor for my future controller..

OP
OP
JamesP

JamesP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any other tablets that will work?
It needs to be a Windows tablet that runs a full Windows version (not their mobile version). Needs a full sized USB port as well. I found a model on Google then I found a seller on eBay.

OP
OP
JamesP

JamesP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The seneye will not work unless it is plugged into a computer of some sort?!?
Yup either a PC or an expensive base unit they sell. I wanted just the PAR meter functionality in my case so I used a tablet running a PC operating system.

Daltrey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The seneye will not work unless it is plugged into a computer of some sort?!?

I had the web server ( https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/seneye-web-server.html) but in order to use most of seneyes functions you have to buy a $10 slide every month. Not worth it to me. So I only use it for the par meter now which doesn’t require a slide to work. Would like to get a small handheld tablet like OP so I won’t need my laptop or computer.

Basically for around $175 I will have a nice handheld par meter. I picked up a used seneye reef for $125 and looking for a used tw700 tablet for around $50.

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to get a tablet for the seneye but couldn't justify the price for windows tablets. So I just have to bring out the old bulky PC and prop it on a chair anytime I need to take PAR, probably every 2 months.

OP
OP
JamesP

JamesP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still think its too much for a used tablet. If only they had it available for android device or IOS device like the rest of the world It would make more sense financially. My GHL doser is another one - I can't use my Macbook pro to set it up I had to use the same windows PC I do for the seneye. Not sure if Germany (GHL) and England(seneye) have gotten the memo -US is IOS and android crazy :)

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d love a copy of that script! Our club has a seneye and I’m in the process of getting it ready to lend out. This idea is awesome!

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@JamesP coukd you post that script? I just ordered a used Tw700 and I want to set this up. Thanks!

Daltrey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a tw801 and it is working awesome. I still need to tweak the display settings but this is now my touchscreen for my control center. Thanks for posting this.

20180304_010519.jpg

20180304_010812.jpg

20180305_135414.jpg

OP
OP
JamesP

JamesP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the script is an AutoHotKey script which requires you to first install the AutoHotKey application. Link below...

https://autohotkey.com/download/

Next make sure your resolution is 800 x 1280. The script checks pixel colors at specific coordinates and makes decisions based on the outcome. That is how it knows if it is in the PAR meter or not. Also, hide the task bar for a kiosk like appearance.

Get one of these for one handed operation.https://www.amazon.com/TFY-Padded-Hand-Strap-Fastening-Adhesive/dp/B00MNONI4Q

Create a notepad file and rename it to a .ahk extension. Edit the file with notepad and paste in the below text. Run the script at boot time to have it launch into the Seneye Connect App and switch to the PAR monitor. If you switch away, it will switch back. Replace the file path with yours. It is unique to each install. Use Task Manager to fine the exe path when it is running. Copy and paste the path in here over mine.

; Set title match mode to exact
SetTitleMatchMode, 3

; Enter main loop
Loop
{

; Launch or focus Seneye
IfWinNotExist, Seneye
{
Run "C:\Users\seneye.user\AppData\Local\Apps\2.0\NTBEAT0W.7L6\9KXV1ZNM.AHL\sene..tion_8ba83e88bfd06126_0002.0001_05beba04b529a956\seneyesca.exe"
WinWait, Seneye
}
Else
{

; Activate and maximize Seneye
WinActivate, Seneye
WinMaximize, Seneye

; Detect if in sub menu with pixel check and click into sub menu if needed
PixelGetColor, Color, 1, 1
If Color = 0xFFFFFF
MouseClick, Left, 400, 400
Else
MouseMove 800, 1280
}

; Delay loop
Sleep 500

}

OP
OP
JamesP

JamesP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more thing; open a support ticket with Seneye and ask them to disable email alerts for your unit. It can only be done by them in their backend and emails cannot be disabled any other way. This gets rid of the out of water emails every time you stick it in the water and pull it out. You can disable the error lights too in the Seneye settings to disable the lights on the unit.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back