Seneye Cycling False or correct results?

SC017

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added my Turbostart 900 2 days ago now and Seneye is showing unexpected readings.
According to Dr. Tims Ammonium Chloride solution I should add 5ml per 100litres, as my tank is about 150litres give or take I added 7.5ml using a Pipette and expected a reading of 2ppm for Ammonia but I either can't read the Seneye Results or it's.. gone wrong?

Should I continue daily dosing of 7.5ml of Dr. Tims Ammonium Chloride?

Test1.PNG
Test2.PNG
Test3.PNG
Test4.png

I had intended to look for my first fish on the 23rd/24th, d'you think I am on track to being cycled at that time or should I wait longer?
Also curious as to opinions to when I could start considering putting in my first corals (mainly looking at some Zoanthids).

Currently got plans for a Mandarin Dragonet and got copepod cultures on order, LFS says that by policy they wont sell fish not eating prepared foods but I want to have copepods on hand regardless, as I'm aware of the difficulties that feeding them may have. Would anyone have any other recommendations for starter fish (outside the typical Clownfish suggestions) as an addition to/replacement to a Mandarin, or advice for how to better prepare my tank to house one?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its that bottle bac is this strong.

reading your logs one second brb

this has potential to be a strong helpful post. brb

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is how to be ready on your chosen date

do not input more ammonia this was already way enough, the Dr Tims advice is much over driven, it should be lower amounts but your bacteria won't rob you.

watch the down trend coming by your selected date. your meter also isnt calibrated and 100% aren't spot on outside of the box either, that factors, unless you have some readings on it from a cycled known display tank.

there is a trim setting for ammonia calibration in the kit because some need it, but not currently.

*its not about your exact current levels, its about a trend down in the next five days, it will. just give it time. I'll be concerned if zero change happens over the five days.

dont add anything, no bottle bac, no more ammonia especially just watch the down trend. all your surfaces will be lined in fritz in 24-48 hours coming up/

we can't close the case on any reading here until the machine shows hundredths ppm sampled on a running display. out of the box, they aren't all right. we're not in a hurry to proof it now, let's use its precision change track abilities to watch down trending by day 5 coming up

you have the known amount of ammonia input per volume and its very upper end but not enough to harm any aspect of the cycle, the bottle bac immediately began working on it, which is why in five days I bet we're trending down bigtime. can't wait to see. post a picture of the tank too we need to match this action with the seen surface area so we can use this timing in other's cycles.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added my Turbostart 900 2 days ago now and Seneye is showing unexpected readings.
According to Dr. Tims Ammonium Chloride solution I should add 5ml per 100litres, as my tank is about 150litres give or take I added 7.5ml using a Pipette and expected a reading of 2ppm for Ammonia but I either can't read the Seneye Results or it's.. gone wrong?

Should I continue daily dosing of 7.5ml of Dr. Tims Ammonium Chloride?

Test1.PNG
Test2.PNG
Test3.PNG
Test4.png

I had intended to look for my first fish on the 23rd/24th, d'you think I am on track to being cycled at that time or should I wait longer?
Also curious as to opinions to when I could start considering putting in my first corals (mainly looking at some Zoanthids).

Currently got plans for a Mandarin Dragonet and got copepod cultures on order, LFS says that by policy they wont sell fish not eating prepared foods but I want to have copepods on hand regardless, as I'm aware of the difficulties that feeding them may have. Would anyone have any other recommendations for starter fish (outside the typical Clownfish suggestions) as an addition to/replacement to a Mandarin, or advice for how to better prepare my tank to house one?
That pH is unlikely to be correct which, if it’s calculating NH4, using pH and NH3, it’s wrong.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that's a good call. that means when everyone trims these into compliance and all our systems run ~.3 pH differences at times there's probably not a unanimous calibrated bottom end for seneyes, but we're getting within thousandths ppm difference per tank eventually... certainly very close. the few seneyes that can pull off pH agreement between the best calibrated probe, and show thousandths ppm in a display, are strong candidates for benchmarkers.

OP
OP
S

SC017

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we can't close the case on any reading here until the machine shows hundredths ppm sampled on a running display. out of the box,
Unless a freshwater tank with unknown ammonia (It's been running over 15 years now, so probably low anyway!) I can't provide that kind of calibration.

Your opinion is to not dose anymore? This won't affect the Bacteria negatively?

OP
OP
S

SC017

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That pH is unlikely to be correct which, if it’s calculating NH4, using pH and NH3, it’s wrong.
Is that something I should be concerned about/want to fix?

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
these aren't known for their pH prowess, purely for nh3 tracking in changes, precision ones.

I'm 100% certain fritz will have your system ready by the desired date if you add nothing else. we track out hundreds of these cycles to pattern them, yours isnt different

need the full tank pics, its so that when we use this thread to pattern out others who don't own seneye, we can see if the rocks and sand placement, degree of use are the same. that's critical. bac are attaching to these surfaces

no calibration in freshwater agreed. we dont need to calibrate it currently anyway give it five days time to drop/keep us updated! simply do nothing but watch each day as it goes by.

throw in one hefty pinch of ground up fish flake food, Dr Reef's speedup trick. (carbon boost)

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
fritz has been studied as 48 hour bacteria, its very fast acting. it takes just a bit to clear out the strong dose Dr Tim has everyone do. given a do over I'd have input to .5 ppm max ammonia and that would work the same, grow the same # of bacteria we need by your expected start date. but, its so darn powerful even this jolt will still be cleared :)

OP
OP
S

SC017

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
need the full tank pics, its so that when we use this thread to pattern out others who don't own seneye, we can see if the rocks and sand placement, degree of use are the same. that's critical. bac are attaching to these surfaces

The last post (as of now) is the Tank this morning.

Is my Seneye actually reading the Ammonia levels correctly?
I dosed (According to the instructions) what should've been 2ppm at 4:30 today and the Seneye didn't even read 0.2ppm.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
these bacteria are live, in the bottle, and immediately reduce ammonia its how everyone gets away with fish in cycling. so your initial ammonia dose got zapped by some of the bacteria. where you are at now is astronomically high, seneyes usually run in the hundredths, don't concern in the future here about your cycle completing its as good as done on your due dates.

we can't tell anything about your seneye this fast, we need five days to chart down trending that bacteria will certainly do. so handling your tank like the thousands who post cycles and don't own a seneye, your projected start date is already guaranteed. fritz will have you ready by then

now we just watch the seneye drop and it won't all be down by tomorrow either, but it'll come down. those bacteria just ate a huge huge meal. let them re up over the coming days, adhere to surfaces and multiply they'll clear it (cause a down trend sharp enough we know its safe even if the seneye needs trimming)

add the one single pinch of very finely ground up fish food and that's all we need.

OP
OP
S

SC017

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
these bacteria are live, in the bottle, and immediately reduce ammonia its how everyone gets away with fish in cycling. so your initial ammonia dose got zapped by some of the bacteria. where you are at now is astronomically high, seneyes usually run in the hundredths, don't concern in the future here about your cycle completing its as good as done on your due dates.

we can't tell anything about your seneye this fast, we need five days to chart down trending that bacteria will certainly do. so handling your tank like the thousands who post cycles and don't own a seneye, your projected start date is already guaranteed. fritz will have you ready by then

now we just watch the seneye drop and it won't all be down by tomorrow either, but it'll come down. those bacteria just ate a huge huge meal. let them re up over the coming days, adhere to surfaces and multiply they'll clear it (cause a down trend sharp enough we know its safe even if the seneye needs trimming)

add the one single pinch of very finely ground up fish food and that's all we need.
Understood, In Fritz we trust.

Would freshwater tropical flake food work?

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for sure its perfect carbon mix

in Dr Reefs bottle bac thread where he timed out deposition times among brands, fritz registering fastest, he found that feed made it speed up a bit.

even if we dont dose it, you're still done/ fish food lack of never stopped any cycles but its like baker's icing with designs on top to include some, these mixes of bacteria we use love carbon sources. contaminants from the room, like the stuff on top of fan blades in the home, contaminates into tanks and has carbon to offer. that's the sub when we withhold feed.

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as your tank ages and takes on life we can wait and see how that seneye does. it should land once animals are in the tank in the range of thousandths ppm nh3 to maxiumum .04 or less hundredths, low hundredths or high thousandths Id just leave it as is and not even mess with tuning it. but if you're still showing tenths ppm in five days it for sure needs turning, fritz would never take that long.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
doesnt matter either way, great reefs run at both those options.

hey what's that nh3 at, i'll bet its dropped a little. salinity variances will specifically not harm or impede the cycle we want.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what does the ammonia read today was curious

OP
OP
S

SC017

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1634943188792.png

First reading that Seneye has reported as being green instead of red.

Hopefully getting first fish on Sunday, will have to see how things pan out.
Still concerned about the ph and the strange readings on ammonia though.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread is really unfolding well I've been wondering if it played by the timeline rules.

without that meter: madness. Revolt

With the meter: cycle compliance. Seneye is making a difference with their nh3 movement precision.

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back