Seneye Reef Monitor - My Review

thewackyreefer

(formerly luvmyacans)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright guys, so I just received the new Seneye reef monitor Tuesday (11/22) and figured I'd give you guys a good idea of what you can expect with this product.

First impressions...
- Unit is smaller than I expected...easily fits in the palm of your hand and doesn't look like an eyesore in the tank. I'll get some actual measurements later. The product itself is very solid and inserting the monthly testing slide is very easy and fast. I wish they would have included a wall plug to use rather than making you purchase one but I just used an iPhone wall plug and it seems to work fine.
- Documentation is pretty lackluster at this point. I know this product recently came out of beta so I'm sure they're still working to polish everything off.
- The software that you install on your pc to sync the unit with their "cloud" is pretty rough as well. It does the job but I don't see this as being the primary source of information other than using it for the PAR, Kelvin and LUX testing. There is an additional tab in the program that indicates there will be a future module that will allow for testing of additional parameters (I believe calcium, alk, ORP and others will included in this).
- The personalized website that displays your parameters is a little rough at this point as well. I think the concept is awesome however I had problems getting it to work in IE and Firefox but it worked well in Safari on my mac and iPad. I find this interesting since the module itself will only sync on a pc and not a mac.
- Shipping was FAST when ordered directly from Seneye. I think I received it in 4 days or less and it was shipped from overseas.
- Customer service has been great. I've had a couple issues and questions for them and they've been very helpful and fast to respond.

I am currently having an issue with the unit as it seems it was configured as a "Seneye Home" and not a "Seneye Reef" which is preventing the light meter from being activated. I've been working with CS and hope to have this resolved tomorrow as they can make that adjustment to enable the meter on their end.

Over the next few days I'll get some pics of the unit, software and website posted for you guys and hopefully a better review once I've had some time to spend with the unit and everything is working as expected. Feel free to let me know if you guys have any questions, I'm more than happy to answer them.

OP
OP
thewackyreefer

thewackyreefer

(formerly luvmyacans)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The guys at Seneye just fixed everything on my unit so I can take some light measurements as soon as I wake up tomorrow, I'm pretty exhausted tonight. I don't have another meter to compare it to (if anyone in Los Angeles has one and wants to participate in this little experiment let me know) but I'll post some numbers and information about my lighting to see if the community thinks it's accurate or not.

OP
OP
thewackyreefer

thewackyreefer

(formerly luvmyacans)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to see there are others interested in the product. It'll be great to have someone to bounce questions off and share ideas.

I had a few minutes this morning to spend with the light monitor. I'm still trying to figure out exactly what I should expect and how to really use the readings. I've started a thread on here to see if anyone knowledgeable can help and have an email into Seneye support as well. You can find the thread and the readings I took under my AI's here: https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/led-lighting-specific/73813-testing-led-par-lux-kelvin.html#post811241

L
ater on today I'll see if I can get some screen caps of the web interface and the other readings from the pc software as well. So far I'm noticing that the temperature is off from my ReefKeeper Lite by about 2 degrees. Customer support has indicated they're looking into a way to manually adjust the temperature in the future so I'm sure this will be addressed. The pH reading looks very close to what my RKL is saying so as far as I can tell it's pretty spot on. I don't ever test my ammonia anymore but the meter seems accurate hovering right around 0.01.

Like I've said in other posts Seneye's customer service has been pretty awesome. I've got one rep in particular I've been working with and he's always very fast to reply even though they're across the pond. I've also had someone from their marketing team reach out just to make sure I was getting any questions answered and to see if there's anything he can help me out with. It seems these guys have a really good thing going here and I'm looking forward to seeing how this product progresses.

If you guys have any specific questions let me know and I'll do my best to answer them for you!

OP
OP
thewackyreefer

thewackyreefer

(formerly luvmyacans)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a quick snapshot of the seneye.me (Seneye+) dashboard that they provide online. I've found that the site works best in Safari and is useable in IE as well. It does work pretty well on the iPhone and iPad which is great.

dashboard.jpg

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's pretty cool. I didn't realize it tested DO too.

CJ

Stpatrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my light sensor is working now. I did a quick test this morning. When I did the measurement my lights were at 35/50/60 and at the surface on the water, 12" below the lights it measured 450 par. I cant wait to see what the par is under my 250 MH. I will take more measurements when I get some time today.

Kyuss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any update on the PAR tests? I just jumped the gun and purchased the seneye and I probably should have waited for more reviews but.....

:)

OP
OP
thewackyreefer

thewackyreefer

(formerly luvmyacans)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any update on the PAR tests? I just jumped the gun and purchased the seneye and I probably should have waited for more reviews but.....

:)

I don't have much to update on my end. It appears as though it's accurate but I don't really have another meter to compare it to...

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 73 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back