Seneye Reef vs. Apogee SQ-200

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I thought i had a V2 (i thought we all had, except for the very old ones without a par sensor), but it's a V4.

It's very simple now:

V2's, running on firmware 2.x.x, don't have the issue.
V4's, running on firmware 4.x.x, have the issue, update to 4.0.8 will solve it.
V6's running on 6.x.x, don't have the issue.
I have yet to bring the laptop down and run my seneye again to check. Hopefully I do that sometime today. Just to verify the information. My SUD is v4. I just don't know if it's 4.0.6 or 4.0.8.

Oldcoder

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have the version 4 model. It is at release 4.0.4 it will not update to a higher release. It does say it updated when you plug it in, but it is the same release. Has anyone gotten it to update to 4.0.8 without direct contact with seneye?

shwareefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like an actual word from Seneye before I start panicking. Anyone have a quote from dialogue with them? My corals have shown no sign of being light deprived after more than a year of these settings based on the Seneye, so I'm not convinced that there's anything wrong with 4.0.4. They could have easily broke it with 4.0.6 and fixed it with 4.0.8.

Harold999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like an actual word from Seneye before I start panicking. Anyone have a quote from dialogue with them? My corals have shown no sign of being light deprived after more than a year of these settings based on the Seneye, so I'm not convinced that there's anything wrong with 4.0.4. They could have easily broke it with 4.0.6 and fixed it with 4.0.8.
What i did, to verify if i had the issue or not, was checking a BRSTV review of my light (Kessil A360X), and took their exact color/intensity settings, mounting hight of the led, and measuring distance. I noticed my results were almost twice as high as they got so i was pretty sure mine had the issue. :)

So look anywhere if you can find par readings of your specific light.

Oldcoder

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I would agree with that. I wonder if they pulled 4.0.6 since I just plugged mine in after about 6 months and it stays at 4.0.4.

shwareefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What i did, to verify if i had the issue or not, was checking a BRSTV review of my light (Kessil A360X), and took their exact color/intensity settings, mounting hight of the led, and measuring distance. I noticed my results were almost twice as high as they got so i was pretty sure mine had the issue. :)

So look anywhere if you can find par readings of your specific light.
That's a good idea. I broke my entire system down into frags because the corals were overgrown (and to defeat a pesky macro embedded in my rock) and moved it all to a frag system with T5's. I used the BRS recommended 4*54w - 2*blue+, 1 actinic, 1 coral+ and I was 250-300 par at the bottom of a lowboy. Should be able to find some direct comparisons out there.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought i had a V2 (i thought we all had, except for the very old ones without a par sensor), but it's a V4.

It's very simple now:

V2's, running on firmware 2.x.x, don't have the issue.
V4's, running on firmware 4.x.x, have the issue, update to 4.0.8 will solve it.
V6's running on 6.x.x, don't have the issue.

I have Sud V3. Afraid to plug it in to get the firmware version but I believe it reports accurate numbers. While I can't compare it to another tool my numbers when compared to Dana's test results I'm in the ball park.

Harold999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Sud V3. Afraid to plug it in to get the firmware version but I believe it reports accurate numbers. While I can't compare it to another tool my numbers when compared to Dana's test results I'm in the ball park.
Okay we also have a V3 now :) (i thought they went from V0 to V2 V4 V6).
I think you will not receive any updates anymore, because you should be on 3.x.x and the update will be 4.0.8 for the V4 only. Your device will never get a 4.x.x firmware, only 3.x.x.

Am i correct you are on a 3.x.x firmware?

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a seneye 3 days ago unaware of the par reading problems. It's a v6.

Using mars aqua black boxes hung 12 inches off the surface. I'm getting 400-450 par 8 inches below the water line and 120-150 on the sand bottom @ 18inches. I don't have another tool to compare it with, but running the blues at 70% and whites on as low as they go these numbers SEEM good. It doesn't seem like its showing double the par values. I would assume my corals would be showing signs of poor lighting otherwise.
Hi I saw this went unanswered, at the settings you are at, you should be within safe par levels. I run one over my Colorado sunburst boxes at cross to the same settings. They are at the surface and love the light.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay we also have a V3 now :) (i thought they went from V0 to V2 V4 V6).
I think you will not receive any updates anymore, because you should be on 3.x.x and the update will be 4.0.8 for the V4 only. Your device will never get a 4.x.x firmware, only 3.x.x.

Am i correct you are on a 3.x.x firmware?

This may sound stupid but how can I verify? After reading through the thread am a bit nervous to reconnect it :) Happy to connect it though if it helps.

Harold999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may sound stupid but how can I verify? After reading through the thread am a bit nervous to reconnect it :) Happy to connect it though if it helps.
On the browserpage where you do your PAR readings there is also a tile with the name you gave to your SUD, tick on that and you can see the firmware version.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the browserpage where you do your PAR readings there is also a tile with the name you gave to your SUD, tick on that and you can see the firmware version.

Ok, I'll pull it out of the drawer and connect it. Does it require an active slide? I honestly only use it for par measurements once or twice a year or if I make any changes.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks.

SUD Firmware: 3.0.2

Edit: I am trying to remember when I purchased this but it is probably close to 3 years or so.

1632066518301.png

Harold999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn't need an active slide.

Thanks.

SUD Firmware: 3.0.2

Edit: I am trying to remember when I purchased this but it is probably close to 3 years or so.

1632066518301.png
Thanks, like i said you are on a 3.x.x firmware and won't get any updates anymore which could screw up your par readings. You're fine.

mrbacony

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a version 4 with firmware 4.0.6. I was getting what I thought were reasonable PAR figures for my two Hydra 32 lights, but now am really questioning the readings. If they are actually half of what I am reading, then really would want to crank them up some. It sure would be nice to get a definitive answer on this firmware version.

Harold999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a version 4 with firmware 4.0.6. I was getting what I thought were reasonable PAR figures for my two Hydra 32 lights, but now am really questioning the readings. If they are actually half of what I am reading, then really would want to crank them up some. It sure would be nice to get a definitive answer on this firmware version.
BRS has multiple reviews of the Hydra32 on Youtube where they do par readings, just look at what exact settings they use and mounting height/measuring distance and do your own comparison.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 44 47.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 49 53.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 21 22.8%
  • None.

Votes: 24 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 9.8%
Back