Ah ok. At least for co2, I don't think the 5000 range is really needed, though I do have it myself on mine . The other night at a candlelight dinner with a few too many candles I noticed that the battery of my portable monitor (I think it's got a mh-z19 in it) went out. When I got it back on it showed 2200, already wasn't very pleasant. Couldn't imagine tolerating even higher than that in my home, I usually air the room when i notice it in the 1000-1300 range. 2000 and above is more of a you need to act now.
Been wanting to switch to a diy version that I can integrate into automation so Ive been looking into the different sensors, scd30 just happens to be the most expensive one. Lack of i2c isn't nice, didn't think of that, had the esp integration route in mind.
Btw, when you have these in auto calibration mode, you need to air the room until they stabilize at or below 400 for a couple minutes every now and then, otherwise they'll drift off.