Seperating Frag From Plug

GoatmealJones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How does one go about separating an acro frag from the ceramic base they are sold on? The ceramic base is limiting where I can place my frag, as my LR is not very porous. I want to exopy the base of the Acro straight onto the top of my LR structure.

I have never fragged before. Do I just mechanically separate the frag from the base? Do I use a sharp knife? I dont want to harm the acro or any of its tissue in the process.

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, it may seem intimidating at first, but the frag usually pops off with a little pressure applied at its base. I usually use a butter knife or bone cutters to "nudge" the frag off; sometimes a good push with fingers works.

Good luck.

TaylorJames

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a set of garden clippers. I tilt the frag on its side, place the edge of the frag disc on the bottom blade, close the top blade gently so it rests where the coral meets the frag. Apply pressure and the coral will pop off the frag.

LobsterOfJustice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also cut the plug part off of the frag plug relatively easily, so the coral stays attached and encrusted to the disc and you can still attach the upper disc with encrusted coral to your rockwork.

OP
OP
GoatmealJones

GoatmealJones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for your input! just wanted to make confirm I wouldnt kill the frag by separating it haha

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 33 19.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 129 75.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.5%
Back