Seperating Frag From Plug

GoatmealJones

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 4, 2019
Messages
266
Reaction score
194
Location
Los Angeles
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How does one go about separating an acro frag from the ceramic base they are sold on? The ceramic base is limiting where I can place my frag, as my LR is not very porous. I want to exopy the base of the Acro straight onto the top of my LR structure.


I have never fragged before. Do I just mechanically separate the frag from the base? Do I use a sharp knife? I dont want to harm the acro or any of its tissue in the process.
 
Yep, it may seem intimidating at first, but the frag usually pops off with a little pressure applied at its base. I usually use a butter knife or bone cutters to "nudge" the frag off; sometimes a good push with fingers works.

Good luck.
 
I use a set of garden clippers. I tilt the frag on its side, place the edge of the frag disc on the bottom blade, close the top blade gently so it rests where the coral meets the frag. Apply pressure and the coral will pop off the frag.
 
Thank you all for your input! just wanted to make confirm I wouldnt kill the frag by separating it haha
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 22 19.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 35 31.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 8.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 8.1%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 16 14.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 8 7.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new