Serious green hair algae problem 2 month already

Marloz king

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey guys how’s everything?
well I want to say that since I put some destilled water in my tank I started to see green hair algae I though it wasn’t nor a big problem but 3 day later there they start to grow so fast and now there’s alot I mean a lot all over the tank I am tryng every thing but nothing is working at all.

all parameter are fine and my tank it’s really old

F2573E64-29E9-4F45-8053-048D01DA3ACB.jpeg

E4FA23CA-345B-4C08-934A-D46EE1B7690E.jpeg

3F3E1E30-AB77-497C-866E-0369E11647C8.jpeg

5A517C9B-12D2-47B9-9BBC-E2DE11EC0E84.jpeg

8C524343-AA6B-4D8D-946A-5280D969D711.jpeg

E03866E2-EA43-43AF-AAE2-5B56C2BD58C7.jpeg

Star reefer3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey guys how’s everything?
well I want to say that since I put some destilled water in my tank I started to see green hair algae I though it wasn’t nor a big problem but 3 day later there they start to grow so fast and now there’s alot I mean a lot all over the tank I am tryng every thing but nothing is working at all.

all parameter are fine and my tank it’s really old

F2573E64-29E9-4F45-8053-048D01DA3ACB.jpeg

E4FA23CA-345B-4C08-934A-D46EE1B7690E.jpeg

3F3E1E30-AB77-497C-866E-0369E11647C8.jpeg

5A517C9B-12D2-47B9-9BBC-E2DE11EC0E84.jpeg

8C524343-AA6B-4D8D-946A-5280D969D711.jpeg

E03866E2-EA43-43AF-AAE2-5B56C2BD58C7.jpeg
Dont have a cure but following cause I have the same problem

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What r your parameters, also, I am a big fan of RO/DI water, you can try turning lights off for 3 days, if its photosynthetic algae it will kill it. How much r you feeding?

If you do the lights out method you will have to do a couple of water changes because of algae die off, you don't want to release nitrates and phosphates back into the tank.

You can also do 100 percent water change over a 5 day period, roughly 20 percent daily to reset your parameters.

OP
OP
Marloz king

Marloz king

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What r your parameters, also, I am a big fan of RO/DI water, you can try turning lights off for 3 days, if its photosynthetic algae it will kill it. How much r you feeding?

If you do the lights out method you will have to do a couple of water changes because of algae die off, you don't want to release nitrates and phosphates back into the tank.

You can also do 100 percent water change over a 5 day period, roughly 20 percent daily to reset your parameters.
not bro this a green hair algae they don’t die like that I have my light of for 3 days and nothing men but I’ll do the Ro/Di water to see what’s goin on

ks2509

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We had the same problem with our last tank. We rented a sea hare from my LFS one week later almost all gone cost me $11 to rent it. So I would highly suggest buying one (awesome animals super chill) or finding one you can borrow for a few days. I also dosed NOPOX daily before then and didn’t slow it but that sea hare was better than any lawnmower I have ever owned lol.

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We had the same problem with our last tank. We rented a sea hare from my LFS one week later almost all gone cost me $11 to rent it. So I would highly suggest buying one (awesome animals super chill) or finding one you can borrow for a few days. I also dosed NOPOX daily before then and didn’t slow it but that sea hare was better than any lawnmower I have ever owned lol.

l looked those up. Seem cool. Aside from the release toxin part, why would you "rent" one? They seem to sell for about $15

ks2509

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
l looked those up. Seem cool. Aside from the release toxin part, why would you "rent" one? They seem to sell for about $15

Yea i had a 20 gallon tank. Once the algae was gone it wasn’t growing fast enough to feed it. Saw no I’ll efffects to corals or fish while it was in the tank.

OP
OP
Marloz king

Marloz king

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like it.. thanks bro I am going to try this

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have had a GHA problem for more than a year. I don't sweat it. I have a mandarin and the GHA helps keep the pod population up. I have beaten the dinos and cyano by focusing on keeping my parameters up for the corals which will eventually out compete the algae for nutrients and space.
I scrub my rocks weekly - I try to pull off what I can to remove from the rocks and then scrub the rest turning on my pumps to full (sometime I put an extra pump in the tank) to keep the algae suspended so that it get to the filter sock.
I have done H2O2 dips on rocks I can pull out which is extremely effective along with sand rinsing.
I try not to let the algae bother me, and like I said, focus on keeping the corals happy. I've done the starve the algae routine but it only backfired me creating a better environment for dinos and cyano. I'm not saying ignore NO3 and PO4 levels I try to keep mine at 2 and <0.08 respectively, just don't chase zeros. Another caveat to this is that newer tanks it may be more effective to keep NO3 and PO4 very low to fight algae. Less important in a mature tank

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok one more thing to consider. This is a post in that algae thread from member @Lasse

"I will say once again – in tanks and out in the wild – algae problems are caused of low grazing capacity in the system. Nothing else. I do not understand why it is so difficult to understand – most of you know what will happen with lawn that is not cut or grazed even if it low in nutrients."

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok one more thing to consider. This is a post in that algae thread from member @Lasse

"I will say once again – in tanks and out in the wild – algae problems are caused of low grazing capacity in the system. Nothing else. I do not understand why it is so difficult to understand – most of you know what will happen with lawn that is not cut or grazed even if it low in nutrients."

I am not OCD (although I am afraid to get tested and find out I am wrong) so Although my tank is in it's infancy (as far as being in my possession) I go crazy with "There are some little red bulbs there..... Some light green algae there...... Fine red hairs here" etc. I was thinking any algae was a sign of the tank not being in some perfect harmonious balance....... Then I started really LOOKING when I go to my various fish stores, which we have a good lot of in an hour drive, and being a bit obsessed I go to them all...... Almost one every day..... I have noticed that every tank, and even beautiful display, has the same stuff going on. I realize that if my cleaners keep doing their job, really nobody but me is obsessing or even noticing every little hair or bubble.

OP
OP
Marloz king

Marloz king

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have had a GHA problem for more than a year. I don't sweat it. I have a mandarin and the GHA helps keep the pod population up. I have beaten the dinos and cyano by focusing on keeping my parameters up for the corals which will eventually out compete the algae for nutrients and space.
I scrub my rocks weekly - I try to pull off what I can to remove from the rocks and then scrub the rest turning on my pumps to full (sometime I put an extra pump in the tank) to keep the algae suspended so that it get to the filter sock.
I have done H2O2 dips on rocks I can pull out which is extremely effective along with sand rinsing.
I try not to let the algae bother me, and like I said, focus on keeping the corals happy. I've done the starve the algae routine but it only backfired me creating a better environment for dinos and cyano. I'm not saying ignore NO3 and PO4 levels I try to keep mine at 2 and <0.08 respectively, just don't chase zeros. Another caveat to this is that newer tanks it may be more effective to keep NO3 and PO4 very low to fight algae. Less important in a mature tank
great I want to get a sea hare
to see if this can help bu thanks brother

OP
OP
Marloz king

Marloz king

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not OCD (although I am afraid to get tested and find out I am wrong) so Although my tank is in it's infancy (as far as being in my possession) I go crazy with "There are some little red bulbs there..... Some light green algae there...... Fine red hairs here" etc. I was thinking any algae was a sign of the tank not being in some perfect harmonious balance....... Then I started really LOOKING when I go to my various fish stores, which we have a good lot of in an hour drive, and being a bit obsessed I go to them all...... Almost one every day..... I have noticed that every tank, and even beautiful display, has the same stuff going on. I realize that if my cleaners keep doing their job, really nobody but me is obsessing or even noticing every little hair or bubble.
that’s tre every single tank is different

rsumner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Focus on the thing(s) that has changed. If every other aspect of the tank (and its inhabitants) and how you care/maintain it is the same with the exception of the water you're using, then I would test the distilled water prior to mixing salt. I've seen others report here on R2R that their grocery store purchased distilled water was still reading 10 to 20ppm. Get your hands on a TDS meter and an ultra-low phosphate test kit to test that water. The issue with buying this water from the grocery store is that you can't rely on consistency. I'm assuming you don't have an RODI system to produce your own, so if you can, I would try to buy your water from an LFS and ask to see their TDS meter to feel comfy that you're reading 0's before you mix your salt. I know all of this seems a bit obsessive, but I've seen algae blooms in my system from bad source water.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 19.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back