Serpent star problem

DownriverDirt313

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning, I am currently at work and do not have parameters to post. What I will say is my fish, soft corals are doing great, I had a montipora that did not thrive in my tank. I noticed my serpent star looked to be really struggling and after a call to LFS they said if the central disk is damaged it’s unlikely for them to recover.it was unusual for my serpent star to be visible at all with the lights on and that is how I discovered it like this. Does this look like something my Pistol Shrimp or my blue legged hermit crabs would do? Or does it look strictly parameter related. If it’s unable to be answered without parameters or against rules I understand.
FD57BADF-7F42-443D-830B-5B70340EF784.jpeg
C7DAB919-0745-4EC3-9853-053A216EDAA3.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Good morning, I am currently at work and do not have parameters to post. What I will say is my fish, soft corals are doing great, I had a montipora that did not thrive in my tank. I noticed my serpent star looked to be really struggling and after a call to LFS they said if the central disk is damaged it’s unlikely for them to recover.it was unusual for my serpent star to be visible at all with the lights on and that is how I discovered it like this. Does this look like something my Pistol Shrimp or my blue legged hermit crabs would do? Or does it look strictly parameter related. If it’s unable to be answered without parameters or against rules I understand.
FD57BADF-7F42-443D-830B-5B70340EF784.jpeg
C7DAB919-0745-4EC3-9853-053A216EDAA3.jpeg
This is very similar to another star issue this week. I believe called distended disk syndrome and often does heal but seeing tissue falling apart expresses stress due to either water quality- starvation or both.
Its best chance of recovery/repair will be in an acclimation box as other fish pay pick at its exposed flesh. What youre seeing when i use the word flesh are individual plates reffered to as ossicles. These calcite ossicles are held together to form many armored plates that are covered by an outer skin covering.
Its a belief that they scavenge and eat detritus and waste but they need meats such as shrimp, clam, fish (non fatty), mussel, sinking pellets, and wafers.
If this is a newer tank, they often do not do well in newer systems similar to anemones. Water temp 75-78 with ph of 8.1-8.3 , salinity 1.024-1.025 and calcium 400-450

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with vetteguy he looks really starved to me. I just lost one of mine a few weeks ago when another fish bit it. The disk falling apart like that usually doesnt end well

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 49 29.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 45 27.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 56 34.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.9%
Back