serranus pulcher basslet info?

Flatearth

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know anything about this fish? My LFS says they are very similar in behavior and care to the lantern basslet. It certainty looks like a lantern basslet, just more colorful. The last Lantern I had was a great reef fish, so if this thing is really the same that would be great, I just don't want to bring home a little terrorist.

The one at the LFS is in a 20 gallon with anthias, cardinal fish, and a hawkfish. They claim it is peaceful to these fish, and will not eat anything it can't swallow(so my cleaner shrimp should be safe supposedly?). It has been in the store a long time, and it has not been aggressive that I can see. Very interactive fish too which is why I want it.

So does anyone know anything? Data online is sparse as this is a fairly uncommon fish.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
F

Flatearth

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have read that, it does not give great insight into how it will behave in the aquarium. Was hoping for someone who had kept this species before.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read that, it does not give great insight into how it will behave in the aquarium. Was hoping for someone who had kept this species before.
It looks like it wants to eat something, lol. I guess you can be one of the first!

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess treat it like a mix of what we know of the genus unless someone comes forward with specific info. I mean I'm sure enough people have experience with chalk basslets, tobacco basslets, lantern basslets, and the like to give enough of an idea to debate going for one.

It's always a risk without species specific information but overall I'd assume small fish and shrimp are gone. Aside from that I'd wait and hope someone else has more info.

OP
OP
F

Flatearth

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess treat it like a mix of what we know of the genus unless someone comes forward with specific info. I mean I'm sure enough people have experience with chalk basslets, tobacco basslets, lantern basslets, and the like to give enough of an idea to debate going for one.

It's always a risk without species specific information but overall I'd assume small fish and shrimp are gone. Aside from that I'd wait and hope someone else has more info.

The Lantern and Chalk are both pretty well documented to be safe with all but the smallest tank mates. I had a lantern myself, never had a chalk. The lantern didn't bother anyone including my small hermits and medium sized cleaner shrimp. I imagine tiny shrimp species would be eaten(most every fish above 2 inches eats those though).

I feel pretty confident that the pulcher is going to be fine. Most Basslets are pretty well behaved after all. You just never know with saltwater fish though which is why I was hoping for someone with real experience to chime in.

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Lantern and Chalk are both pretty well documented to be safe with all but the smallest tank mates. I had a lantern myself, never had a chalk. The lantern didn't bother anyone including my small hermits and medium sized cleaner shrimp. I imagine tiny shrimp species would be eaten(most every fish above 2 inches eats those though).

I feel pretty confident that the pulcher is going to be fine. Most Basslets are pretty well behaved after all. You just never know with saltwater fish though which is why I was hoping for someone with real experience to chime in.
I would advise as a no with peppermint shrimp in my case I could not house chalk basslets with peppermint shrimp in a store display tank.
Cleaner shrimp are large enough to find for themselves with nearly anything.

I would advise caution with small shrimp and gobies for most fish however given that is when problems tend to arise.

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be fine however. Hopefully you can add to the pool of knowledge with your experience.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 108 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.4%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 9 6.3%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 4 2.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back