OP
OP
Servo

Servo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those reading along, I'm considering a surge system instead of a closed loop system. I'm considering a cone tank as a possible storage tank option for a surge system with this tank.

ace_cb0345-52_345_gallon_cone_bottom_tank.jpg

I think this would give me the best possible options for emptying the entire volume. I would elevate it above the tank and hook it up to an actuated ball valve for the surge. THe Ball valve would be set on a timer based upon how long the return would take to fill up the tank. I plan on using 2 sequence Hammerheads for the return, with a tee off to the Surge. I'll plumb it so I can shunt flow away from the surge system incase there are significant micro bubbles. I'll be able to shut this off with company. I'm still debating the pros and cons, but this would prevent me from using a closed loop. I hated my last one so much.

Feedback?

Last edited:

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen a very innovative bubble less surge before, not that volume though. The bubble less surge used a "table" above the drain to prevent the vortex that draws the bubble into the drain. If your holding tank is large enough, you could simple have the valve close earlier, meaning more water stays in the surge tank, less bubbles in the main tank.

What type of ceiling height are you working with in the fish room? How are you going to control humidity?

_Alex_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very cool build idea going here! cant wait to see it come together!

my father does HVAC and he has been talking ot me abouta split system that has the one big coil outside then has a unit in each room you want to controll the temp in. depending on the size unit you get you can put one in like up to 12-20 different rooms and control the temp in each room individually heat or AC. then the compressor regulates the size it runs at for the load it calling for, for example they can run down as low as a 1ton unit or up to as big as a 18ton unit all with the same system, just varies by what temps are being called for. and like you mentioned geo thermal is another good way, and if i can get the house were trying to get in i will probably put one in since it has a well.

OP
OP
Servo

Servo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen a very innovative bubble less surge before, not that volume though. The bubble less surge used a "table" above the drain to prevent the vortex that draws the bubble into the drain. If your holding tank is large enough, you could simple have the valve close earlier, meaning more water stays in the surge tank, less bubbles in the main tank.

What type of ceiling height are you working with in the fish room? How are you going to control humidity?

Exactly! If you can prevent the entire volume from dumping into the tank, you won't end up with bubbles. I could always plan the design with built in drains above the overflow filter teeth so if the the increased volume of water pushes too much volume, I can have it dump back into the sump.

I'm designing the house, so I can choose the height that I need.

Humidity is my big concern. I'll likely get a over engineered fan to pull out the air to the outside of the room/house.

OP
OP
Servo

Servo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very cool build idea going here! cant wait to see it come together!

my father does HVAC and he has been talking ot me abouta split system that has the one big coil outside then has a unit in each room you want to controll the temp in. depending on the size unit you get you can put one in like up to 12-20 different rooms and control the temp in each room individually heat or AC. then the compressor regulates the size it runs at for the load it calling for, for example they can run down as low as a 1ton unit or up to as big as a 18ton unit all with the same system, just varies by what temps are being called for. and like you mentioned geo thermal is another good way, and if i can get the house were trying to get in i will probably put one in since it has a well.

I've already decided on using the Carrier infinity zoned HVAC system. Great product! Thanks for the recommendation.

OP
OP
Servo

Servo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've already decided on using the Carrier infinity zoned HVAC system. Great product! Thanks for the recommendation.
Well, if I go geothermal, I won't even need that. Here is the space on paper!

0735ee14f04e8cc94ba690f1f143d6b2.jpg

I'm going to discuss placement of a couple of the objects with some friends tonight!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Servo

Servo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, a little upgrade, and by little, I mean just that. I have decided to go with a fiberglass tank. After discussing the project with some very respected and experienced hobbyists, in order to quell my fears about losing $$$$$$ of dollars in livestock and mature coral from a busted seam, I'm best off with a public aquaria style set up. The downside, is that I won't have a viewable back wall, but I think I can live with that. At least at this point in time, I think I can live with that. I'm going to start more serious planning in the next couple of weeks, but I've finalized a tank size of 10 foot by 5 foot by 2.5 feet tall.

OP
OP
Servo

Servo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well we have finally stared the work on our foundation. I am going to join the fiberglass tank club. There is a reason why public aquariums don't have glass tanks and it's not maintenance. I decided going that route to avoid any possible leaks. With that stated, I may go taller than I intended once I start to get some design sketches. The good news is this project is sprouting legs.
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1387856061.236206.jpg

I will have to amass a serious collection of trash containers to move this stuff
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1387856126.001802.jpg
. The nice thing is my colonies will have more space to grow out!

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1387856061.236206.jpg

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1387856126.001802.jpg

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ground broken, heck yes... Congratulations! I agree with the fiberglass decision on that size aquarium.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ground broken and New Aquarium are two terms I like to hear together! HA!

OP
OP
Servo

Servo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks LPSGuy. Here is the lay out. I don't have correct size of the qt tanks in the plans. They'll go against the wall.

The foundation is in. Here is an idea of size perspective.

Last edited:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Speechless! LOL!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 12 75.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 12.5%
Back