OP
OP
Servo

Servo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have two homewrecker colonies. The Par difference is only 30-40 but the coloration of the higher colony is quite obvious. It amazes me how the same coral in the same system can even look different.
910790f6991e05fdaeb8c050eb2bbf3a.jpg
d92fd4d3efb685ee3c7b76ab645f0e9a.jpg

olaggie01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely a higher PAR coral. Take a frag off and stick it up even higher. See if it makes it glow!

BigTex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great Servo! Need to do a full on photo shoot of all those nice coral colonies

OP
OP
Servo

Servo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I choose three sea swirls for all of the returns for oscillating flow. I have 1 inch random flow generators at the output of those returns. The three sea swirl returns are hooked into a Abyzz 200 while two other returns use a once Ince fixed penductor plumbed out of an Abyzz 400 pump. Two return pump are used for redundancy. The pumps provide 4400 GPH and 6,060 respectively. Since the 200 pump is also hooked into the manifold that supplies my skimmer and calcium reactor, it is only running at 70% of maximum return. I have the 400 running at %. This feeds 2 returns with fixed penductors, my frag tank while I have a 1oo gallon surge system with an actuated ball valve plumbed in for extra flow.
The divided overflow allows me to have a hidden wave box that I have a Tunze 6255 pump in. The pump pushes 4800 GPH but is completely hidden!

I also use two Ecotech MP60's set up below the Tunze to push water across the back of the tank. In three of the corners of the tank, I am running a Maxspect XF280 gyre (6000 GPH). Additionally, I have an older Gyre 180 (???4000 GPH???)

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I choose three sea swirls for all of the returns for oscillating flow. I have 1 inch random flow generators at the output of those returns. The three sea swirl returns are hooked into a Abyzz 200 while two other returns use a once Ince fixed penductor plumbed out of an Abyzz 400 pump. Two return pump are used for redundancy. The pumps provide 4400 GPH and 6,060 respectively. Since the 200 pump is also hooked into the manifold that supplies my skimmer and calcium reactor, it is only running at 70% of maximum return. I have the 400 running at %. This feeds 2 returns with fixed penductors, my frag tank while I have a 1oo gallon surge system with an actuated ball valve plumbed in for extra flow.
The divided overflow allows me to have a hidden wave box that I have a Tunze 6255 pump in. The pump pushes 4800 GPH but is completely hidden!

I also use two Ecotech MP60's set up below the Tunze to push water across the back of the tank. In three of the corners of the tank, I am running a Maxspect XF280 gyre (6000 GPH). Additionally, I have an older Gyre 180 (???4000 GPH???)

Wow that is a lot a flow, more then I thought from watching the video. You have a great tank!

Outdrsyguy1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is awesome and very inspiring! I wish my tank looked this good! A real test image to your skills and dedication!

I’m surprised you are able to keep up with the cleaning on those power heads, especially the gyres. Mine was a pain to clean that’s for sure but maybe they redesigned them.

Looking forward to a full walkthrough of your system and maintenance someday!

How many fish do you have in there now?

OP
OP
Servo

Servo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's epic! Did you do the video yourself Ryan? I need tips!

Ha ha ha! No Ty. I met up with Than from Tidal Gardens at Aquashella a couple of weeks back. He came by to film my tank. His camera is bonkers crazy! This is the next best thing to visiting.

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha ha ha! No Ty. I met up with Than from Tidal Gardens at Aquashella a couple of weeks back. He came by to film my tank. His camera is bonkers crazy! This is the next best thing to visiting.
I was going to say! You need to quit your day job if you can make videos like that!

I loved it! Seeing the scale of your tank... The happy healthy colonies, and the fat fish swimming around. Great work! I need to see this in person soon!

OP
OP
Servo

Servo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to say! You need to quit your day job if you can make videos like that!

I loved it! Seeing the scale of your tank... The happy healthy colonies, and the fat fish swimming around. Great work! I need to see this in person soon!

Open invite. Anytime.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I thought i was in head scratching phase. Lots if great ideas. Never thought of sea swirls on my returns which will be 8 of them

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Beautiful thread and tank! Had fun reading this one!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 95 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back