Set up

Bekahvarkony

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am located in Albuquerque New Mexico and went to our local fish store! Southwest reef LLC is absolutely amazing! The owner helped me so much and is just so patient with beginners like myself! Here’s what I have so far! What do you think

84EF07EF-FE69-43E5-8A1E-A0B5853F0D84.jpeg

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like they set you up pretty well. From what I can see you have all the things you need and a nicely designed sump. I would continue to listen to the fish store they seem to have hooked you up with the stuff you need to get started.
You'll also want to discuss with them lighting and a protein skimmer/fuge fir that middle sump chamber. Looks good though. Welcome to the hobby :)

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does your hob overflow require a air pump? To suck any air out? I thought they did in the past at least...someone else chime in?
I think it looks great! You have a protein skimmer? Cute dog.
D

OP
OP
Bekahvarkony

Bekahvarkony

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little cloudy, but finally filled. Protein skimmer and lights are the next thing on my list once we cycle! One issue I am having is the salt level it was perfect in my buckets but now too low. Any recommendations?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 27

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So lower your salinity if it’s too high with fresh RODI water until you reach 1.026 or 35ppt.
Then mark the water level.

Then, just refill to that line once a day.

Best would be add an ATO, it automates this task and increases stability of your system.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now it's telling me its too high. I am using a accuprobe hydrometer

I believe that is a swingarm hydrometer and generally speaking not especially accurate or consistent. A cheap refractometer (and calibration fluid) is definitely worth it especially if you are seeing the salinity go up and down on your measurements. It will naturally go up over time due to evaporation if you are not topping off with freshwater, but what you are describing of it going down and then spiking a lot overnight and going up just sounds like inconsistent test results.

OP
OP
Bekahvarkony

Bekahvarkony

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So lower your salinity if it’s too high with fresh RODI water until you reach 1.026 or 35ppt.
Then mark the water level.

Then, just refill to that line once a day.

Best would be add an ATO, it automates this task and increases stability of your system.
I checked it again now and it says it's too low... ‍♀️♀️

kingjoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you think of the fish selection at Southwest Reef? I'm up in Los Alamos and haven't made it down there yet, but I'd like to visit.

ABQ_CHRIS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you think of the fish selection at Southwest Reef? I'm up in Los Alamos and haven't made it down there yet, but I'd like to visit.
It has been over a year, but... The selection is decent. They seem to keep most hardy and popular fish in stock. I hear that they will order things for you if they don't have it. I haven't gotten any livestock or coral, but from the look of the shop I won't be disappointed. They are honest and super helpful.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 50 42.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 21.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 41 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back