Setting tank up with cycled rock

RaymondsWorlddd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So I bought some used live rock, cured it in a brute trash can for two months, then cycled it for two more months. I’m now setting up my RSR 350. I filled the tank with new water and some of the water from the brute trash can, added brand new live sand, and added the cycled rocks. My question, do I need to let it cycle again or can I start transferring my fish and coral from an old tank into this new tank? I was also thinking of maybe adding additional One and Only or maybe pods or something. Any ideas?

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the new rock is fully cycled you should be good. Did you add anything to help it cycle? To test add a little ammonia and see how quickly it breaks down. You should see no ammonia or nitrite in just a few hours. If you do then you need to wait longer. Adding water from your existing tank would help the most besides adding the rock from it.

OP
OP
RaymondsWorlddd

RaymondsWorlddd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I cycled in the brute trash can with ammonia and One and Only. I was ghost feeding after the cycle completed. I forgot to mention I tested my water last night after a day of having the tank running. My ammonia and nitrites were 0 and nitrates 2. I added a cube of frozen mysis after to feed it. I’ll recheck today, then possibly add ammonia. If I recheck tonight and it’s good, is it safe to add a fish?

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be good to go. Always prudent to check first by adding ammonia and seeing if it processes after 24 hrs, but you should not need to cycle again.

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like your good. Nitrates at 2 are great. Nitrate you want to be zero ideally. I think you may have confused the two above.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back