Setting up a 20 gallon nano reef

dib

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I am starting a new thread here for my new build. I think I should be attending tankers anonymous LOL I currently have 7 aquariums in my home!
Anyway, I am going to combine 2 of my fresh water tanks an turn the 20 gallon into a saltwater nano reef. It sits on a shelf so there no space for a sump. I currently have an aqaclear 30 hob filter. I think I will be using t5 lights. Im thinking softies and zoas. Not sure if I want any fish, if so what would be the absolute safest that wont eat my corals and not stress in a 20 gallon tank. I think im going to try an algea scrubber if I find out how to make it and it fits in somewhere. Also, how about a refugium, need to find out more about that too.
Any thoughts or tips
Thanks for the imput, dib

Diamond1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck with the build. I know lots of people do mods on aquaclear HOB filters and turn them into a refugium most are AC70 or AC100. There are a lot of fish that would do well in there and leave your corals alone. Clowns, blennies and gobbies just to name a few. Just do some research to find whats right for you. You'll want to add a power head or 2 for circulation.

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first tank was a 20. Just a hob, heater and 2 powerheads. It had lots of rock and a 4" dsb. My tank now is a similar setup but 29. CPR makes a hob fuge if that's what you would like to do.
My 20
4aryme9u.jpg

My 29
ynegu6yj.jpg

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I just thought of. You're converting a freshwater tank into a saltwater tank right? Have you ever treated for ich in that tank? If you have the tank can leach copper and kill any inverts you put in there.

OP
OP
dib

dib

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope never had to treat for ich. And I do have power heads just forgot to mention it. For the refigium I might convert a 110 filter for it.

OP
OP
dib

dib

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey pete, What is your lighting for the 20 gallon? Beautiful set up by the way

WhoKnew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll have so much fun starting this new adventure. I have a 30g reef. You will get a lot of help from this site. Take pictures along the way!

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey pete, What is your lighting for the 20 gallon? Beautiful set up by the way

That tank was set up in 2002, and I used power compact then. It had one 55w, and 2 screw in coralife pc that were 16w each maybe. The 29 I have now has 6x24w t5

OP
OP
dib

dib

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok decisions here...can I get some techy help. I've seen pple with the evo leds say they like them. For the affordable price are they all they're cracked up to be, or not worth it because they are "cheep" leds. My tank size is 24"Lx16"Hx12"W I like either light, but suposedly leds are the way to go. Not really understanding the whole par thing, I just dont want to waste my money and get the wrong thing. I did that already with my other tanks and got dual t5s when I should have gotten like quads or more. Good thing is there not set up for coral. But my 20 gallon is specifically going to be for coral. Top notch leds are out of my price range at this time. These are the two lights im thinking of. Any input is greatly apreciated
Thanks

http://www.aquatraders.com/24-inch-4x24W-T5-Aquarium-Light-Fixture-p/52303.htm

http://www.aquatraders.com/LED-Aquarium-Lighting-EVO-Quad-Marine-Reef-Corals-p/56574.htm

RyanAbuhoff

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are looking to be as cash efficient as you can, I would go with the LED's. There is no need for any bulb replacement which will save you a lot of $$$.

I have a custom set of LED's on my 24 aquapod and even though the LEDs are undimmable I still like the colors they give off

Diamond1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the little brother to the Odyssea quad t5ho fixture. I really like it but have not had it long enough to tell if it's gonna last, so far so good.
In my humble opinion you can't go wrong with t5 lights. In that shallow of a tank they will grow anything you want as far as corals go.
As for the LED fixture I wouldn't know about the EVO quad.
These lights have some good reviews and I have heard lots of good things about them for not much more coin. DM-155e - Reef Radiance

OP
OP
dib

dib

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yea! I remember checking those out a while ago for my 56. I forgot about those...lol I really liked the info on them. Might just have to go for it! I think one would suit this tank perfect.

OP
OP
dib

dib

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1393643710130.jpg

1393643733277.jpg

Here are the two fresh water tanks I'm combining. The first one is the 20 gallon which will become my new nano reef. The second is my 29 gallon which will house everything.

Last edited:
OP
OP
dib

dib

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the 29 set up. My live plants have much more room now.
1393686631644.jpg

Going to pick up sand today and get the reef going soon. Still contemplating what color sand......black or white......?

WhoKnew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The black sand look so awesome, but I don't know how easy it is to keep clean. As for white sand, I have all sorts of CUC that does it for me.

OP
OP
dib

dib

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got it up and running now. I put in 2 bags of hawian black sand not realizing how deep it was. Its like 3inches deep would that be OK or should I remove some. Picked up a few pieces of live rock and got some bonus items.
1394124650944.jpg

1394124675674.jpg
I don't remember what the guy at the LFS called this. Anybody know?
1394124691838.jpg

1394124782219.jpg

And something I don't think I want
1394124734176.jpg

But that's another thread.

Last edited:
OP
OP
dib

dib

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also got a couple little hermit crabs. Think they can survive a cycling tank?

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In reference to your sand, they say 1" or less for SSB or 4"-5" for DSB. I'm partial to DSB but I like the burrowing critters and the nitrate reduction and low maintenance. You need to be careful not to overfeed though.

OP
OP
dib

dib

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of burrowing critters would do good in a 20 g reef?

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are pistol shrimps that will pair up with little gobies. They are perfect for a 20g. They are messy though in that they kick sand all over the place. If you have coral in the sand that can be a problem. There are the little snails with a tiny snorkel that burrow under the sand until there is food in the tank then they come out. I can't remember how to spell their name, something like narsissas snails. They are cute anyhow.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 134 42.9%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 108 34.6%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 15.7%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back