Setting Up a 90g and Need Some Recommendations

  • Thread starter Thread starter Austin Lee
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Austin Lee

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 20, 2015
Messages
145
Reaction score
61
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey R2R!

I am in the process of setting up my 90g reef tank. I currently have everything I need (equipment wise) besides a light and a heater.

What types of lighting do you recommend for a 90g reef? I am looking into probably doing a T5 and LED combo. I have a 20g setup now and use Current Orbit USA LEDs and they work great. However, I think the T5 will be valuable on my large tank. Thoughts? Recommendations?

As far as heaters, I really like the Cobalt Aquatics Heaters and will most likely end up buying these. Anyone have any other recommendations?

Thanks in advance for all of your help!

PS - I will have a tank build thread up soon so be on the look out for that :)

~Austin
 
I use a LED/T5 hybrid and love it! I'd watch Cobalt heaters, heard many issues with. Eheim is very reliable. Just me.
 
Eheim is great heater out there , there just long just measure it your sump space . Combo t5 is a great light , but they produce a lot of heat though , I used to have t5 combo from current USA brand . And I switched to AI hydra . Is so much better . Good luck
 
Are you doing a canopy or rimless? If looking for a fixture you're best bets are going to be the ATI Powermodules or the Giesemann Auroras. Those are probably the top choices in LED/T5 combo fixtures at the moment. If you're doing a canopy you can do a DIY setup for much cheaper. Decide on what LED fixtures you want to run (Radions, AI's, Kessils, OceanRevives, etc.) and then add a couple retrofit T5 kits.

I was originally planning a canopy on my 80 gallon (have since decided not to) and was going to run 4 T5's, two OR-T247s and a Kessil A350.
 
I got the current orbit on my 90. My soft corals started to respond but didn't seem bright enough. Bought a 50/50 reef bar pro from 21ledusa. Now I have enough for my softies and an LPS I put in has been doing fine. Good luck.
 

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 10 31.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 16 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 11 34.4%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 15 46.9%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 8 25.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%

New Posts

Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new