Setting up a basement sump

AlwaysSalty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently I have a 120 gallon with eshopp 200 running 1” piping.
I’m looking to plumb into my basement into a sump stock tank. I wanna incorporate a 3 gate valve manifold. I also have a AU classic 25watt sterilizer, a carbon reactor and 1” Neptune flow sensor to add in. I’m also running a Cor20 return pump.
Questions are.. am I better off converting to 1 1/4” as recommended by Neptune including bulkheads on the drain and return line or keeping everything 1 inch except the manifold which will go to 3/4?
Also uv sterilizer i want to control between parasites and algae. Mostly parasites as algae hasn’t been much of a problem. So I assume this will require its own pump and separate plumbing?
Also assume it’s better to use the flow sensor on the uv rather than the return line?
Thanks in advance!!

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Core 20, and it's a great pump, but I'm not sure the core 20 will push all that water (400gph). I use a little giant ac pump to pump my new saltwater, and it barely gets it done. I get about 2 gallons a minute at about 12-15'. Best of luck
https://petocart.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=231593
1614881973190.png

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@AlwaysSalty Im with @siggy on your pump. The COR-20 has max head of 20’. If you only think about vertical head loss of 15’ you’re already down to roughly 400 GPH at max speed.

OP
OP
AlwaysSalty

AlwaysSalty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have the option now to get an Iwaki md70rlt with max head 31ft and max 1500gph. Good enough you think??

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have the option now to get an Iwaki md70rlt with max head 31ft and max 1500gph. Good enough you think??
Here is the rule of thumb I used for estimating head loss. 1’ for each vertical foot, 1’ for each 50’ horizontal, 1’ for every 90 degree bend. I know my horizontal calc is questionable. But I wanted something to be conservative

I think mine is sized to around 70% of the max head. Worked great for me for water changes.

Just a guess but if your total head is 20’ or less I’m guessing you’ll have plenty of flow.

OP
OP
AlwaysSalty

AlwaysSalty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the rule of thumb I used for estimating head loss. 1’ for each vertical foot, 1’ for each 50’ horizontal, 1’ for every 90 degree bend. I know my horizontal calc is questionable. But I wanted something to be conservative

I think mine is sized to around 70% of the max head. Worked great for me for water changes.

Just a guess but if your total head is 20’ or less I’m guessing you’ll have plenty of flow.
Yes I roughly use the same rule of thumb. Sometimes I’m unsure bc of the diameter of the pvc making a difference and how much I’m actually getting. Luckily I have access directly under my DT to minimize head loss. I think I’m leaning towards 1 1/2” but ill have to decrease at the 1” bulkhead. Unless it’s advisable to change them out.

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I roughly use the same rule of thumb. Sometimes I’m unsure bc of the diameter of the pvc making a difference and how much I’m actually getting. Luckily I have access directly under my DT to minimize head loss. I think I’m leaning towards 1 1/2” but ill have to decrease at the 1” bulkhead. Unless it’s advisable to change them out.
I get what you’re saying. But I think the Iwaki pump is 1” so I’d just stay with 1” but just my opinion.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 130 59.4%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 29.2%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 78 35.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 39 17.8%
  • Other

Votes: 63 28.8%
Back