Setting up a local species tank

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay! So I've decided its time to set up a local species tank. For me, it will be species from the beach areas in NYC.

Today, I collected a NSW sample to test so that I can try and match parameters. My results are as follows:

Salinity = 28ppt. The East and Hudson rivers empty into NY harbor. And the mouth of the harbor is in the area from which I collected. So there is a blend of fresh water with salt water (brackish?). I'm guessing this is why I don't get the 35ppt I expected?

pH= 8
ALK= 5.6

I didn't test things like calcium, nitrates and phosphates. I didn't see any point in testing something like calcium as I wouldn't be collecting anything that relies on calcium.

So I will try and bring the tank parameters as close to the test numbers as possible.

Am I missing anything?

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay! So I've decided its time to set up a local species tank. For me, it will be species from the beach areas in NYC.

Today, I collected a NSW sample to test so that I can try and match parameters. My results are as follows:

Salinity = 28ppt. The East and Hudson rivers empty into NY harbor. And the mouth of the harbor is in the area from which I collected. So there is a blend of fresh water with salt water (brackish?). I'm guessing this is why I don't get the 35ppt I expected?

pH= 8
ALK= 5.6

I didn't test things like calcium, nitrates and phosphates. I didn't see any point in testing something like calcium as I wouldn't be collecting anything that relies on calcium.

So I will try and bring the tank parameters as close to the test numbers as possible.

Am I missing anything?
The salinity difference could be from recent rain run off, also I believe that there can be a difference of salinity depending on depth, salt water being more dense would be on the bottom while the fresh stays up top before it eventually mixes. Tides could change the salinity as well.

What species are you considering and are you chilling the tank?

capted

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a local species tank awhile ago from long island waters. I also noticed low salinity. I didn't match it though. I kept it at 32ppt with no issues. No chiller either. It was fun collecting specimens and watching there behavior. Had a baby sea Robin, crabs, pipefish and a seabass (which had beautiful colors) in a 40 gallon tank. Tried spearing but they didn't last long most likely because aeration. They are very delicate. And the pipe fish were tough because they only ate live brine shrimp. In the end I had to return them back to the sea because they over grew the tank. Have fun!! Oh, don't let the dec catch you with undersized fish!!!

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The salinity difference could be from recent rain run off, also I believe that there can be a difference of salinity depending on depth, salt water being more dense would be on the bottom while the fresh stays up top before it eventually mixes. Tides could change the salinity as well.

What species are you considering and are you chilling the tank?

The water came from a tide pool. And it is from tide pools that I plan to collect. I don't have specific species in mind, just whatever I come across.

Typically in tide pools around here, you find snails and hermit crabs. Also, you come across a lot of youngsters of fish species that I may collect. I have an excellent light for the setup, so, I plan on collecting a lot of local plants.

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a local species tank awhile ago from long island waters. I also noticed low salinity. I didn't match it though. I kept it at 32ppt with no issues. No chiller either. It was fun collecting specimens and watching there behavior. Had a baby sea Robin, crabs, pipefish and a seabass (which had beautiful colors) in a 40 gallon tank. Tried spearing but they didn't last long most likely because aeration. They are very delicate. And the pipe fish were tough because they only ate live brine shrimp. In the end I had to return them back to the sea because they over grew the tank. Have fun!! Oh, don't let the dec catch you with undersized fish!!!

This tank is in the den. With central air going, it gets town to about 66 degrees. That will have to do as I don't want the added expense of buying and running a chiller.

I'm not sure that I will be able to keep much in the 33 long that I am using. I plan on using a deep sand bed for plants that I collect, and whatever else I find in the tide pools.

I don't believe there will be any issues with the collection by the DEC. I've seen them out there, but they mostly go after people filling 5 gallon buckets with rock crabs.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

pH= 8
ALK= 5.6

Am I missing anything?
Very cool idea! Will you allow local members to view?

capted

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tank is in the den. With central air going, it gets town to about 66 degrees. That will have to do as I don't want the added expense of buying and running a chiller.

I'm not sure that I will be able to keep much in the 33 long that I am using. I plan on using a deep sand bed for plants that I collect, and whatever else I find in the tide pools.

I don't believe there will be any issues with the collection by the DEC. I've seen them out there, but they mostly go after people filling 5 gallon buckets with rock crabs.
Sounds like a plan. I had some sponges and plants also. And some small hermit crabs. It was very interesting. Have fun!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back