Setting up a new Skimmer right now, need help & advice please

waverider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys.

Im adding a new Reef Octopus Classic 90 HOB Skimmer to my system tonight: This one -->

I've assembled it per instructions, added silicone grease to all the O-rings. Assembly was easy enough. I've filled it until it overflowed back into my tank as per instructions and pinched the Venturi Air intake hose shut, set the adjustment tube to "OPEN" -wide open.... Fired her up.... Pump and cylinder primed. Let it run for a moment, released the Venturi intake...

-wallah! magic bubbles.

Here is an image of where it is after 30 minutes with adjustment tube to OPEN.

Here is the burning question: My collection cup takes an optional external drain tube that I so I can drain my collection cup into a bucket. I have an extra flexible air tube laying around that fits perfectly... should I do that now. Or can I leave it as is without a drain tube and sleep tonight and not worry that my cup not overfloweth ?? !!!! -adjustments are set to WIDE OPEN. -That means the Skimmer is running as Dry as possible and here is where the bubbles are in my cone

25_DSC02556_WEB.jpg

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
probably fine but wouldn't hurt to add the drain to a bucket before you call it a night; always error on the side of caution.

John08007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would leave it for now. Skimmers take time to break in. The fear i would have using a hose like that is what happens if it does overflow? Personally I think external skimmers like this should have an emergency drain back into tank at top of collection cup in case skimmer goes nuts.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t run a tube into a bucket. It can take out a lot of water and lower your tank’s water level to bad levels. Don’t know your set up, so don’t know how bad it could be. Could certainly overflow your bucket.
Once it is safely broken in, and you’re confident it’s broken in, it will be much more predictable and stable. Stil not a good idea, imo, to have it going into a bucket

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would leave it for now. Skimmers take time to break in. The fear i would have using a hose like that is what happens if it does overflow? Personally I think external skimmers like this should have an emergency drain back into tank at top of collection cup in case skimmer goes nuts.
hmm. maybe i misunderstood... if it overflows and you don't have it draining to a bucket, doesn't pop the top off and start getting water all over the floor? With it being a new skimmer i would have the drain set up to a bucket but agree that if you can drain it to the tank, that's better

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you leave the valve wide open until broken in you should be fine.
yes it will go onto floor , my ah da

OP
OP
waverider

waverider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Videos Im seeing say to leave it run DRY for a week or so, then slowly run it more and more wet until its just frothing at the top

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The eshopps one has that. I have one. Goes right back into tank.

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks like from the pic that going back to the tank is an option with the collection cup being over the top

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could run the hose into a bucket like you said., But I would tape the lid down. If it does over bubble the water will take the least resistance and go out the tube

Back