OP
Awesome458

Awesome458

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome. Going big is see. Hawaiian fish are going to be pretty hard to source with their export ban that is currently in place.
black ish appearance GIF
Thanks for your reply! I’m aware of the ban, so I plan to stick to captive bred for the Hawaiian specimens and other parts of the world as needed. Cheers!

nigeldcat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome back into the Hobby and congrats on the retirement. Technology has changed since the 80's. When I was a kid I always wanted a saltwater tank as my LFS had a hexagonal tank with a lionfish in it. I had to stick with freshwater as I barely had the money to support a 10gal freshwater tank. Then one day in the late 80's back in Texas as I was about to get out of grad school, I walked into a store that had an awesome saltwater set up. Talking to the owner of the store he showed me the wet drive filter under the tank, explained how it worked, and vowed I would set one of those up one day when I got out. I bought a copy of Martin Moe's "The Marine Aquarium Reference: Systems and Invertebrates" from the owner and started my journey. Been learning ever since.

I hate to be a buzzkill, but you may have to rethink the Hawaii focused tank as Hawaii has banned all collection of aquatic fish for the aquarium trade.

OP
OP
Awesome458

Awesome458

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome back into the Hobby and congrats on the retirement. Technology has changed since the 80's. When I was a kid I always wanted a saltwater tank as my LFS had a hexagonal tank with a lionfish in it. I had to stick with freshwater as I barely had the money to support a 10gal freshwater tank. Then one day in the late 80's back in Texas as I was about to get out of grad school, I walked into a store that had an awesome saltwater set up. Talking to the owner of the store he showed me the wet drive filter under the tank, explained how it worked, and vowed I would set one of those up one day when I got out. I bought a copy of Martin Moe's "The Marine Aquarium Reference: Systems and Invertebrates" from the owner and started my journey. Been learning ever since.

I hate to be a buzzkill, but you may have to rethink the Hawaii focused tank as Hawaii has banned all collection of aquatic fish for the aquarium trade.
Thanks for your reply. I’m aware of the ban, my plan is to utilise captive bred where possible, as well as fish that have outgrown their current tanks and need a new home.

It’s really amazing the state of the art in both freshwater and saltwater aquarium care. It was hit or miss in the ‘70’s and 80’s, but I was fortunate to never loose a fish due to water quality parameters or feeding concerns.

Thanks again and Cheers!

gibbers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello to the group,

I retired recently and I’m keen to return to having a saltwater aquarium. When I was a teenager, I had both freshwater and saltwater aquariums (7 in total), but the saltwater were always my favourite. I gave all of them up when I got married and have not participated in the hobby since the early 80’s.

I’m currently designing my dream saltwater aquarium that will be 12’ long, 30” deep and 30” width. This is 571 gallons according to an online calculator. My plan now is for an all predator tank with an emphasis on Hawaiian predators. My wife and I have been to Hawaii ten times and snorkelling on the reefs was always our most favourite activity.

I’m also looking forward to getting up to speed on the latest technology and techniques as well as learning from the group…

Cheers!
Following, can’t wait to see this build

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hello to the group,

I retired recently and I’m keen to return to having a saltwater aquarium. When I was a teenager, I had both freshwater and saltwater aquariums (7 in total), but the saltwater were always my favourite. I gave all of them up when I got married and have not participated in the hobby since the early 80’s.

I’m currently designing my dream saltwater aquarium that will be 12’ long, 30” deep and 30” width. This is 571 gallons according to an online calculator. My plan now is for an all predator tank with an emphasis on Hawaiian predators. My wife and I have been to Hawaii ten times and snorkelling on the reefs was always our most favourite activity.

I’m also looking forward to getting up to speed on the latest technology and techniques as well as learning from the group…

Cheers!
Welcome! Lots of great information and lots of informative people here on Reef2Reef!

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello to the group,

Cheers!

Welcome and a TX "Howdy" to you! Glad you joined and returning to hobby. Seems like you are well on your way with making plans.

CONGRATULATIONS on already having your Build Thread Badge! WAHOO!! Number of LFSs here in the DFW metroplex have some of their RO/DI commercial equipment right in the open (thinking Frank's Tanks in Ft Worth).

This might help you find people local to you, as Texas is very active:

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to your new home for saltwater reef aquarium resources and fun! Welcome to the family! :D
welcome-home-logo-greeting-png.1484246

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 43 27.4%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 76 48.4%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 20 12.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back