Setting up Ca reactor

cb684

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to set up a Ca reactor in a 200 gallon frag system from the beginning. Right now I do not have that many colonies on that. I was dosing about 25 mL of 2 part to keep the Ca2+ and Alk stable.
The Ca reactor system is:
SRO CR5000 9 inch Calcium reactor with about 20 Lb of media (Reef Octopus)
Body Size: 9in
Total Height: 22.8in
Media Capacity: 9.3 Liters \ 20-24lbs of corse media

Feeding pump: Cole-Parmer Masterflex 77301-21 (10-600 RPM)

CO2 injector: Electronic valve from aquariumplants.com

I have the peristaltic pump in the lowest speed using 17/24 tubes, that is about 30 mL/min
I am using the CO2 valve on about 1 bubble/ 4 seconds and keeping the pH regulated between 6.91 and 6.92 (this was the least amount of CO2 that would add Ca and Carbonate to my system, and the minimum bubbles/seconds that would reach the desired pH) the fine tuning of pH is measured by a BRS lab grade pH probe and controlled by Apex.

Now, even with the lowest settings for the pump, and the highest pH necessary for dissolving the media, I still get too much if the pH is kept at 6.92-6.93 the whole day. I decided to keep the pH at that level for only 12 hours /day (two 6 hours intervals, mostly during the day), and turn off the CO2 valve during the rest of the day. Are there any known problems setting up the calcium reactor system to work in intervals?

CastAway

Prone to wander, never lost.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm. I use a CA reactor myself, granted much smaller. My first thought after reading your post was that intermittent use of the reactor might result in a corresponding pH fluctuation in the system itself. My reactor drives the overall system pH down as a result of residual CO2. Often, people use a second controller/probe to dose kalk and offset the shift in system pH.

My second thought was about consumption. You said "beginning". Are there corals in the system to consume what Ca and alk you're introducing? (I call my own Ca reactor a dKH reactor, as it seems to be governed by the addition of alk, not Ca :))

We'll see what the experts say.

tigerdragon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look up the thread tuning a ca rector/ alternate and easy way great info and makes it soo much easier

OP
OP
cb684

cb684

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there corals in the system to consume what Ca and alk you're introducing?
Yes, two 4-5 inches and one 10 inches Seriatoporas, one 4 inches montipora and four small acroporas frags.
My first thought after reading your post was that intermittent use of the reactor might result in a corresponding pH fluctuation in the system itself.
That could be a problem. How much pH fluctuation would be acceptable? I will get a second probe in the tank tomorrow.
Look up the thread tuning a ca rector/ alternate and easy way great info and makes it soo much easier
Are you talking about a specific thread? If so, can you post the link? I've reviewed a number of threads and articles about setting up a Ca reactor in the past, but if there is one in particular that you believe is going to help please share.

OP
OP
cb684

cb684

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have my ph on my reactor set between 6.4 to 6.7.
I understand that. In my case I am adding a Ca reactor on a system that needs very little Alk and Ca. So I found the highest pH that would start releasing Alk and Ca.
Thank you for the inputs, I plan to change to a 1/8" ID Pharmed Tygon, (instead of the 1/4" that I am using now ) so I can decrease water flow until I find the equilibrium for my system. That way, pH, Alk, and Ca will be very stable,without oscillations.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remember, to increase alkalinity in the effluent, either slow the effluent rate even more, or increase bubbles per minute.

Here a link from my good friend Marc, http://www.melevsreef.com/node/1276

tigerdragon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, two 4-5 inches and one 10 inches Seriatoporas, one 4 inches montipora and four small acroporas frags.

That could be a problem. How much pH fluctuation would be acceptable? I will get a second probe in the tank tomorrow.

Are you talking about a specific thread? If so, can you post the link? I've reviewed a number of threads and articles about setting up a Ca reactor in the past, but if there is one in particular that you believe is going to help please share.
https://www.reef2reef.com/posts/2422270/ check this out

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 46 20.9%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 161 73.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.5%
Back