Setting up large holding facility Hawaii Big island

Dan D

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
800 g sump,5 200 g main tanks 2 200 g sand filters,large skimmer, 1000 sq ft building,
400 g water changes.

Looking for a mentor to point me in the right direction. 2 mi from ocean.

Tropical fish diver 20 + years,sea urchin diver 15 yrs in Calif.
Making 100+ gal tanks since 11 grade. AS marine bio. Almost bs.
64 yrs old . Diving first jump usually 150 + feet.

Reply or pm me please.
Mahalo

Aloha

CC13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
800 g sump,5 200 g main tanks 2 200 g sand filters,large skimmer, 1000 sq ft building,
400 g water changes.

Looking for a mentor to point me in the right direction. 2 mi from ocean.

Tropical fish diver 20 + years,sea urchin diver 15 yrs in Calif.
Making 100+ gal tanks since 11 grade. AS marine bio. Almost crap.
64 yrs old . Diving first jump usually 150 + feet.

Reply or pm me please.
Mahalo

Aloha

Is this a business venture or for personal pleasure?

OP
OP
D

Dan D

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi cc 13,
Both, i love the ocean and the fish. I have had salt water aq since 11 grade. Started off backwards. Used to build 100 + gal plywood tanks,with casting resin and left over broken shop glass from shop i worked for free for. Helped catch mosquito fish in local creeks . We had biggest club in high school marine bio club. Tanks to 300 gal, hoses going thru freezer to cool pacific ocean water to 65 deg,in summer heat ,valley 100 plus.

Urchin dove calif 15 yrs, marine mech and boat builder here in BI 26 yrs. Trop diver 15 yrs,but mainly boats till now. Like to dive deep. Looking to go closed circuit. Over 10 k hours diving scuba.

Want to give back to comunity have a lot of healing to do after loosing 2.6 miles of prime coral diving lost in 2 months to river of lava. Want to help reseed, the new black lagoons, and do transact for UH( very underfunded. ) find out best corals for new hotter water environment.
Kinda like gbr Great Barrier reef is doing ( no funds for that either)

We lost 700 structures. 500+ houses destroyed . Many thousands displaced. Breathing was tenous for months. Some times in house with ac on with cartridge mask on , heppa on etc.

I want to just dive ,have fun, and catch a few fish If I can remember how. Much,much harder with the new required 2 in mesh nets, including scoop nets.

NO DIVING ALLOWED IN WEST( KONA) SIDE OF BISLAND. IF U SEE ANY NEW DEALERS SELLING FROM HAWAII U DONT KNOW,BE AWARE SOME POACHERS HAVE BEEN SITED ILLEGAL DIVING.
You know your dealer please ask them where they come from.

I have contracted to maily supply a east coast high quality warehouse.
Pic of yesterday dive 140 + ft. Good conditions. Fun dive no capture.200 ft vis. And friends puppies, my sone calls them only 6 ft
Aloha
Dan

tinkerbutterflyfish.jpg

banditangelfish1 (2).jpg

whitetippairs3.jpg

Jacked Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wish I could help your cause sir. These pictures and fish are spectacular. I’m especially a fan of the bandit angels. When I went snorkeling in Hawaii seven years ago I had the time of my life. Wish I knew about we aquatiums then. If you ever do end up collecting contact me! I would love to buy from you!

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are the Hawaii bans effecting your plans? I'm under the impression no more permits are going to be issued and when the ones that expire expire that's it (until hopefully one day these bans are reversed).

I was also under the impression it's illegal to keep corals in Hawaii other then soft corals? It seems like while you are in a great place for diving you are in a bad place to do any reef / fish keeping personal or business related.

U

User1

View Badges
If you are serious then reach out IPSF. That is your best bet.

IPSF = indo pacific sea farms

OP
OP
D

Dan D

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep im serious, i spent a few grand getting ready, i have done trops for 20+ years. But spent most of the last with fused L 4-,5 and pain , just getting over it slowly now. Exercise and pain still, 420 seems the best so far. I will keep u guys appraised of progress.

No one seems to want to mentor me tho, reminds me of when i got here 26 yrs ago and i pull into town with a 24 ft radon i had dived urchins with in ventura. The locals shunned me until my boss mahi told them to take a hike. I spent the last 20 yrs fixin all of there boats lol.

Do to the fact that many of the reef fishes are also tropical fishes for the aquarium, the state couldnot stop the take of reef FISH with 2 inch net or there would be hell to pay for all da Hawaiians who eat fish( kau kau) its been a native tradition for centuries.

So we can catch fish live just like dead, only with 2 in mesh, also hand net 2 in, hard to do well.
All west Hawaii off limits to trop collecting.

But new rules comming down pike to protect hawaii from snorkel bob and crew. The future for my son to dive sustainable looks bright

New years dive day

Pictures courtesy of ct in kona,notake,only pics

The lady diver,our friend over nautilas sub cruize area
For those who dont dive a must see adventure

Hau’oli Makahiki Hou. It means Happy New Year aloha

taapi.jpg

seaurchin.jpg

whitepatchrazorwrasse.jpg

liz1.jpg

emperorfish.jpg

goatfish1.jpg

Gonebad395

Anemone hound
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really cool man and the photos are amazing good luck in your ventures please keep us updated

UM Aquarium Club

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it's that people aren't interested in mentoring. I think it's more that most people on here are more likely hobbyists and don't have commercial experience that would be helpful. Hopefully someone who has some experience with the type of operation you're starting will be able to find the post and chime in. Pictures are wonderful though, really interested to see some of the Hawaiian fish.

U

User1

View Badges
Yep im serious, i spent a few grand getting ready, i have done trops for 20+ years. But spent most of the last with fused L 4-,5 and pain , just getting over it slowly now. Exercise and pain still, 420 seems the best so far. I will keep u guys appraised of progress.

No one seems to want to mentor me tho, reminds me of when i got here 26 yrs ago and i pull into town with a 24 ft radon i had dived urchins with in ventura. The locals shunned me until my boss mahi told them to take a hike. I spent the last 20 yrs fixin all of there boats lol.

Do to the fact that many of the reef fishes are also tropical fishes for the aquarium, the state couldnot stop the take of reef FISH with 2 inch net or there would be hell to pay for all da Hawaiians who eat fish( kau kau) its been a native tradition for centuries.

So we can catch fish live just like dead, only with 2 in mesh, also hand net 2 in, hard to do well.
All west Hawaii off limits to trop collecting.

But new rules comming down pike to protect hawaii from snorkel bob and crew. The future for my son to dive sustainable looks bright

New years dive day

Pictures courtesy of ct in kona,notake,only pics

The lady diver,our friend over nautilas sub cruize area
For those who dont dive a must see adventure

Hau’oli Makahiki Hou. It means Happy New Year aloha

taapi.jpg

seaurchin.jpg

whitepatchrazorwrasse.jpg

liz1.jpg

emperorfish.jpg

goatfish1.jpg

Then you should contact Mr. Heslinga over at IPSF. They are on Kailua-Kona. May not be in your neck of the woods but a phone call and maybe a visit can shed some light on what you want to do and if it is viable. If not then maybe they have volunteer work such that you are still helping the community and hobby. I've only spoken to them has a consumer of their products and just generic questions on animal care. I believe they have about 50,000 sq ft farm area and 100+ tanks. It is the real deal is what I'm saying and been around a lot longer than the so called chop shops that we see now. So 25+ years is what I'm saying.

I think as noted above it isn't that people don't want to help or mentor but most of us are state side and not running a business. For this you are looking to do some research to see what makes sense, if it makes sense financially, longevity, and then above all if someone isn't already doing it. Environmental BS is going to get into the way so they can also shed some light here. This is true if you are on the East coast - say Florida, crazy coast, er, West Coast of California, or out your way in Hawaii. Rules, restrictions, licenses, and what lobbyist you have to pay is all different.

Sadly - most probably will not want to help since they will think you are trying to take away business. Just the nature of the beast.

Edit: Thanks for sharing pictures. Diving Hawaii is always fun. Clear waters and its warm. I dive in Northern California so it is colder. You may be aware of this since you mentioned diving in Ca for urchins. Not sure if that was off the Farallon Islands - which is typical (if so, hats off - that is gutsy due to the local land lord) or down South in Catalina (warmer waters).

OP
OP
D

Dan D

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep im serious, i spent a few grand getting ready, i have done trops for 20+ years. But spent most of the last with fused L 4-,5 and pain , just getting over it slowly now. Exercise and pain ,still 420 seems the best so far. I will keep u guys appraised of the situation. Going down with inlaw, jan 5 w new scooter, zoom.
Happy new year from the place with toooo much pyrotechnics this year.
Pic August 2018 8 miles from flow
Bad a---- conger eel
Rays
Lava glow

Good by 2018
Aloha 2019
It WILLbe a better year

congereel.jpg

IMG_0697.JPG

2018 5.23 Lava Sky.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Dan D

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then you should contact Mr. Heslinga over at IPSF. They are on Kailua-Kona. May not be in your neck of the woods but a phone call and maybe a visit can shed some light on what you want to do and if it is viable. If not then maybe they have volunteer work such that you are still helping the community and hobby. I've only spoken to them has a consumer of their products and just generic questions on animal care. I believe they have about 50,000 sq ft farm area and 100+ tanks. It is the real deal is what I'm saying and been around a lot longer than the so called chop shops that we see now. So 25+ years is what I'm saying.

I think as noted above it isn't that people don't want to help or mentor but most of us are state side and not running a business. For this you are looking to do some research to see what makes sense, if it makes sense financially, longevity, and then above all if someone isn't already doing it. Environmental crap is going to get into the way so they can also shed some light here. This is true if you are on the East coast - say Florida, crazy coast, er, West Coast of California, or out your way in Hawaii. Rules, restrictions, licenses, and what lobbyist you have to pay is all different.

Sadly - most probably will not want to help since they will think you are trying to take away business. Just the nature of the beast.

Edit: Thanks for sharing pictures. Diving Hawaii is always fun. Clear waters and its warm. I dive in Northern California so it is colder. You may be aware of this since you mentioned diving in Ca for urchins. Not sure if that was off the Farallon Islands - which is typical (if so, hats off - that is gutsy due to the local land lord) or down South in Catalina (warmer waters).

Thanks so much for the info. I was stationed at centerville beach below Eureka calif. I dove and surfed from fort brag to the middle of oregon coast for 2.5 years in 75`. Such incredible diving ,the huge white anemones 2 ft long, schools of black rockfish, seatrout, dungeonous sic crab. Used to dive the south getty humbodlt bay. It was dredged to 55 ft. Cool dive.

The coral place in kona is part of the Hawaiian Energy Lab complex. Many innovative marine bussinesses are there, from a seawater to drinking water huge Japanese company, to huge spirolina co. To cute seahorses growing lab. The bacterial dead water comes from a super deep drop off big pipes to thousands of feet deep come out super cold. These are utilized to be a perfect seawater to grow just about anything from maine lobster to using the cold water to precipitate moisture out of the air, to make fresh water.

Now that there is little to none of VOG (volcanic smog) the Kona side has such perfect skies and air again , like 26 years ago to this day when I moved my family here from ventura. We are blessed to be here. And now southwest airlines will be having air fare wars with Hawaiian air
So come see us. Lots of b and b s affordable car rental etc. We have our share of visiting bums also. But the main area for them to hang is under 59 feet of cooling lava.

We just got 63 mil from fema. Courious if we will see any of it in puna.
Wishing you a new year with healthy fish and system, and many hours enjoying them
Dd ohana aloha
Picture of puna lava flow from last yr ,from Mauna kea 13 k ft.
70 mi away
Cc gemeni obs i think

Screenshot_20180618-074732.jpg

U

User1

View Badges
Thank you - and also wish you and yours a great new year. Diving up North here in California is considered by many the best in the world. I'm biased and tend to agree but will say Monterey is at least in the top 10 if nothing else. Beautiful image. Frighteningly also looks like a low yield nuke went off.

Another thought if you haven't maybe reach out to local city government offices and see if you can lease some land or at least maybe find a business area that can pull in NSW. Using NSW and some grow out tanks using natural lighting may be possible and reasonable priced.

OP
OP
D

Dan D

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what NSW is sorry. It will take a year to mine all the good info here on r2r

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 88 80.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.5%
Back