Setting up MP10s in cube

Pearse73

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m just about to set up two MP10s in my Reefer 200xl. (Roughly 24” cube”)
There’s lots of info out there about placement and modes. I’m placing them on the back wall. One higher than the other to create randomness along with a RFG I already use.
What I’d like some help with is the intensity of the power heads. I was thinking running them around 50% peak in reefcrest mode and observe.
Adjusting higher or lower as required.
If anyone runs these pumps in a similar sized tank I’d be grateful for any advice.

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is a bit larger, 36x21x21. I run 2 at 100% and wish I had 40's instead of 10's.

It depends on your livestock, sps will want as much as you can give them while that would make most LPS unhappy. Start at 50% and see how it looks. If everything is happy and no sand storms occur, bump them up.

OP
OP
P

Pearse73

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is a bit larger, 36x21x21. I run 2 at 100% and wish I had 40's instead of 10's.

It depends on your livestock, sps will want as much as you can give them while that would make most LPS unhappy. Start at 50% and see how it looks. If everything is happy and no sand storms occur, bump them up.
Thanks for the reply. At the minute I’m only LPS but I’m planning a few SPS for the top of the rock work. To avoid the sandstorm I’m thinking lagoon mode for the low power head wit reef crest for the upper. Am I overthinking or does that sound like a plan?

radreef02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My recommended placement.

I ran ab 40% reefcrest on both

I had SPS at top, lps at the bottom with great growth

Attachments

• 6DD1761B-B307-4614-9F27-FCB5B932F866.jpeg
    6DD1761B-B307-4614-9F27-FCB5B932F866.jpeg
    178 KB · Views: 65
OP
OP
P

Pearse73

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My recommended placement.

I ran ab 40% reefcrest on both

I had SPS at top, lps at the bottom with great growth
Thanks for taking the time to reply.
Good to know reef crest also works with LPS down low.

radreef02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Placement for coral is key however. Find the sweet spot if doing hammers and torches. Torches can handle strong flow here and there if it’s a sway and not ripping them apart. They do take time to get used to it

OP
OP
P

Pearse73

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Placement for coral is key however. Find the sweet spot if doing hammers and torches. Torches can handle strong flow here and there if it’s a sway and not ripping them apart. They do take time to get used to it
I only have one euphyllia (torch) and no plans for any more. It is thriving down low in the tank. It was the coral I wary about disturbing with too much flow. That’s why I thought maybe both power heads running reef crest my be too much.

CoachRichardson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an XL200 and two Nero 3. I have the one on the right side up higher and running at 40% on random and the one on the left side down lower and running at 30% and random. I have three torches on the lower side. It's a balance of not too much on them and moving the sand. It takes some time and sometimes I still don't feel like I have it just right. I constantly make tweaks to them both in movement and flow. Everything look really happy and growing except my Acans and I can't seem to make them happy no matter what I do. If you look close in the pic you can see the one on the left back just above the torch. When I added this picture I went and looked at the tank because I thought the one on the right was higher.I think the angle of this picture makes it look lower

IMG_3956.jpeg

OP
OP
P

Pearse73

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an XL200 and two Nero 3. I have the one on the right side up higher and running at 40% on random and the one on the left side down lower and running at 30% and random. I have three torches on the lower side. It's a balance of not too much on them and moving the sand. It takes some time and sometimes I still don't feel like I have it just right. I constantly make tweaks to them both in movement and flow. Everything look really happy and growing except my Acans and I can't seem to make them happy no matter what I do. If you look close in the pic you can see the one on the left back just above the torch. When I added this picture I went and looked at the tank because I thought the one on the right was higher.I think the angle of this picture makes it look lower

IMG_3956.jpeg
Thanks for the reply. I’ve set mine up opposite to that but same principle. High on the left, lower on the right as I look at it.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 11 8.5%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 21 16.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 87 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.9%
Back