Setting up my first sump!

Lalaallieu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here I am, setting up my first sump! The tank is a 75 gal with a 20 gal long to be sump. I plan to drill the 75, and I have so many question so here goes. I am unsure if I should drill on either side, with the overflow in the middle, or If I should keep the overflow on the left, and drill in the middle and right for the return.

Second thing, I am doing the Fiji cube 800gph overflow. It's a herbie style with only two drains. I've watched so many videos and still don't understand how these are plumbed. Do I use a gate valve on one? The one with the high pipe is my emergency right? Planning to pair this with the 1022 gph Lifegard 4000.

I'm so lost on plumbing but I want to learn. I'm going DIY with the fiji cube baffle kit. I'm also going to spray paint my PVC in Grey for fittings and baby blue with the Krylon Fusion paint since they've said it's reef safe as long as it's cured. What kind of Silicone that will adhere the acrylic to the glass well? I was unsure about the Aqueon aquarium sealant and BRS has one they said not to use on acrylic because it doesn't bind well to glass. Thank you for helping me learn and understand. Hope all of you are staying safe out there.

Lauren

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here I am, setting up my first sump! The tank is a 75 gal with a 20 gal long to be sump. I plan to drill the 75, and I have so many question so here goes. I am unsure if I should drill on either side, with the overflow in the middle, or If I should keep the overflow on the left, and drill in the middle and right for the return.
What ever your preference is. Most dual returns are on the ends with the return in the middle.

Second thing, I am doing the Fiji cube 800gph overflow. It's a herbie style with only two drains. I've watched so many videos and still don't understand how these are plumbed. Do I use a gate valve on one? The one with the high pipe is my emergency right?
Use a gate valve on the low pipe. Adjust it so the water level is just a hair below the emergency drain.

What kind of Silicone that will adhere the acrylic to the glass well? I was unsure about the Aqueon aquarium sealant and BRS has one they said not to use on acrylic because it doesn't bind well to glass. Thank you for helping me learn and understand. Hope all of you are staying safe out there.

Lauren

Use aquarium safe silicone. While silicone is not good at adhering to acrylic it will stick to glass. So if you have beads on both sides of the acrylic panel it will sandwich in the acrylic panel so it should not move.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back