0   0   0
Xmas R2R.png

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome aboard. Love a 55. When it comes time for fish just Research the ones appropriate for the size tank.

hes some help on cycling too.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
OP
OP
Eric H

Eric H

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I’m setting up a new 55 gallon saltwater aquarium for fish, not corals or reef. I had no idea of all the cost involved, but now I do. I built my own stand and got a good deal on the aquarium at Petco. I live in Arizona so the water is terrible, had to buy a RODI system which I set up in my laundry room. I’ll be putting live sand and life rock to start out. I was told that I did not need a heater as these tropical fish are used to colder water. Is that true? I know I need to keep the temperature Between 76 and 82°F. Can this be done without a heater? Another question I have, how long should I let my tank cycle with the live sand before introducing fish? Any other helpful comments Would be appreciated. Eric
Thanks for all of your welcomes and reply’s. Well I’m 10 days since filling my tank. Maybe if I described everything I did members may be able to give me advice. Filled the tank with rodi water, salted to the proper salinity of course. Used live Figi sand and life rock. Am adding 2 capfuls of bioculture each day for 2 weeks as the directions say. Sped up the process by adding a couple of raw shrimp over one night. Immediately my ammonia started to rise. As of today my ammonia is still up but lower each day and nitrites have risen. I can see trace nitrates starting. After taking the shrimp out I added 3 green Chromis that seem to be doing well. Can you guys tell me if I’ve done everything correct? I get a lot of different answers online and from different fish stores. Thanks eric

OP
OP
Eric H

Eric H

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all of your welcomes and reply’s. Well I’m 10 days since filling my tank. Maybe if I described everything I did members may be able to give me advice. Filled the tank with rodi water, salted to the proper salinity of course. Used live Figi sand and life rock. Am adding 2 capfuls of bioculture each day for 2 weeks as the directions say. Sped up the process by adding a couple of raw shrimp over one night. Immediately my ammonia started to rise. As of today my ammonia is still up but lower each day and nitrites have risen. I can see trace nitrates starting. After taking the shrimp out I added 3 green Chromis that seem to be doing well. Can you guys tell me if I’ve done everything correct? I get a lot of different answers online and from different fish stores. Thanks eric
Here’s a pic by the way
B10C88D0-75C5-4A86-921F-FA0F890BD220.jpeg

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.4%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back