Setting up new saltwater fish only

Eric H

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I’m setting up a new 55 gallon saltwater aquarium for fish, not corals or reef. I had no idea of all the cost involved, but now I do. I built my own stand and got a good deal on the aquarium at Petco. I live in Arizona so the water is terrible, had to buy a RODI system which I set up in my laundry room. I’ll be putting live sand and life rock to start out. I was told that I did not need a heater as these tropical fish are used to colder water. Is that true? I know I need to keep the temperature Between 76 and 82°F. Can this be done without a heater? Another question I have, how long should I let my tank cycle with the live sand before introducing fish? Any other helpful comments Would be appreciated. Eric

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!
I would still get a heater just incase. Keep temps around 78°
Your cycle will depend on your tank. There is no amount of set time for a tank to cycle as their all different

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
null.jpg

Welcome Eric! I would run a heater to maintain a fairly constant temp. There are some very good threads available for cycling a new aquarium. Better to take things slower than necessary than to rush.

Anyway, glad to have you with us!

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy

The life rock and live sand will take from 2 weeks to 2 months to grow enough bactera to suport having fish. I would purchase a heater. Better to spend a little more money than to have dead fish.

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R @Eric H

It’s awesome that you’ve joined.

Great questions you’ve asked, & you’ll be finding out by now just how every participant here at Reef Excellence R2R is super friendly, super awesome & super knowledgeable, smart & clever,,,,, there’s no bad or misleading advice given out around here. So you’ll be a marine fish professional in no time.

C U round

Steve :D

FindingPonyo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I’m setting up a new 55 gallon saltwater aquarium for fish, not corals or reef. I had no idea of all the cost involved, but now I do. I built my own stand and got a good deal on the aquarium at Petco. I live in Arizona so the water is terrible, had to buy a RODI system which I set up in my laundry room. I’ll be putting live sand and life rock to start out. I was told that I did not need a heater as these tropical fish are used to colder water. Is that true? I know I need to keep the temperature Between 76 and 82°F. Can this be done without a heater? Another question I have, how long should I let my tank cycle with the live sand before introducing fish? Any other helpful comments Would be appreciated. Eric
If you just have the live sand, I would recommend cycling for 4 weeks. Keep the filter and pump on during this process. To speed up the process, dump in a whole bottle of BioSpira into it. That will make it take about 1 week (there are two sizes, so the bigger one)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back