Setting up quarantine tank..

sanechka2005

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to set up 10 g quarantine tank. So, what do I need for that?
I've heard that I would need to put 5-10 pounds of live rock?

1)So, do I need to cycle the quarantine tank? Is it the same 4-6 weeks ?
2) Do I need to add sand there?
3) What type of filter is the best for QT?
4) Should I use water from the main tank?
5)Do i need to put powerheads there for moving water?

Thank you very much;)

Captain Nemo

Look Ma, it's Nemo!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would add some LR, no sand, HOB would be fine, and yes use tank water, and a powerhead. It will only be to make sure specimens are fine... Of course if you have a problem with the DT you would use fresh saltwater, but otherwise I think tank water would be fine. :wink:

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure why you asked this exact question on every reef forum, are you looking for different answers?
Here is my answer from 3Reef and I saw the thread on TRT too:

QT tanks often end up as hospital tanks so everything in the tank must be able to be disinfected or it gets thrown away after each use so you don't contaminate the next addition.

A simple side filter like an AquaClear with a foam insert is what I use, the foam stays in my sump so it is charged with bacteria and can be used at a moments notice. When I am done I toss the filter foam and stick another one in my sump for next time. Another option is an internal air lift foam filter.

I do not cycle the tank since I am using the charged foam and I always use new saltwater, never tank water.

I add a few pieces of PVC pipe of fittings to hide in, a heater, a small powerhead and a light suitable for the inhabitants. Keep it simple.

I drain the tank after each use as I tend to keep adding inhabitants to any tank with water in it so the QT ends up as another display. When I store the QT all the components are stored in the tank along with an extension cord so I can have it up and running in about 15 minutes.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with AZ. I would not use LR or sand in the QT it just becomes places for the pests to hide. Difference is I do use water from my main system for water changes which I do very frequently when I have something in the tank. I guess if I putting in QT after they had been in the tank I probably would not do it that way, but purely for qt I figure I might as well get them used to the water they will be living in.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 182 72.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back