Setting up Shots

minibowmatt

2 zoos for me, 1 for you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am interested to know who is posing their zoos for pics? I read in Stoeycoral's Post he does, and I I think JGoslee- you do? How are you guys doing it? Eggcrate?
How long before taking pics do you move the frags into position? I am having a hard time getting decent pics...I think If the coral was closer it would be easier...

CherryCorals

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am no expert but I know what works for me.

When shooting through the glass you want to move the coral as close to the glass as possible and disable your flash. I shoot in manual mode and set the white balance to the default "shade" setting. You want to be perpendicular to the glass, angles distort the image and make it hard to focus.

As for "posed" corals I have a little eggcrate shelf on a magnet that I can move around. The best place for me is just left of my halide and 4-5" below the waters surface. Most of my Paly's and micro's open up within 20 minutes of being posed.

This pic is through the glass, not posed. Pumps still on.
Coralpics0622.jpg

This pic is through the glass, if I had put it on my shelf and taken a photo it would have been far better. Pumps off would have helped to!
Coralpics0632.jpg

Coralpics1802.jpg

Posed it, not enough light.

Last edited:

Stixbaraca

Zoanthid Pimp
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never really moved things around or posed corals for shots. What I did do though was when glueing frags in the tank I made sure they were all pretty viewable so good pictures could be taken of them.

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
getting the frags or corals closer to the glass is a very good trick that has always worked for me... I take a shot on macro or super macro mode and crop it from the bigger original photo...

JGoslee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small piece of eggcrate that I use. It puts the coral right up against the glass so that I can really get close and get a good macro.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 34 30.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 29 26.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 39 35.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.5%
Back