Setting up tank, return pump is small. Will I have issues

Bryce M.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm setting up a 150 gal tank currently and I was told to get a Mighty Jet mid sized return pump which is 538 GPH.
Well now I looker more into it min I need is 1500+ GPH. (I've had tanks before but this is my first proper sump) but I already have the midsized pump.

What should I do? I already have it all set ready to go and plumbed. Is this going to screw anything up or should I just go for it?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a proper return pump. If you undersize then flow will be pretty slow through the sump (you will loose pressure from it going up to the tank) and debris will collect easier.

Also it will limit you from ever adding reactors to run off it or anything should you decide you need it.

The pump you have was made for all in ones for 30-50 gallons, not with sumps intended and not going up several feet. I doubt it can work properly.

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the turnover recommendation these days? 4-10x? Even at the bottom end of the turnover it’s not sufficient. Add 3-4’ of head height and you’ve definitely got the wrong pump.

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could consider adding a second (slightly larger) pump if you have room. Would help for redundancy if one fails. Can also then use one or the other for branching off for reactors, uv, etc.

OP
OP
Bryce M.

Bryce M.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course it's not what I want to hear but yeah I knew it deep down. Still I like what weasel said about getting a second, larger pump. So I still get use of out this one

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So I'm setting up a 150 gal tank currently and I was told to get a Mighty Jet mid sized return pump which is 538 GPH.
Well now I looker more into it min I need is 1500+ GPH. (I've had tanks before but this is my first proper sump) but I already have the midsized pump.

What should I do? I already have it all set ready to go and plumbed. Is this going to screw anything up or should I just go for it?
Either sicce 3.0 or 4.0 would be quiet and best and best for the money

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back