Settling sand vs time in bag- which is worse?

germs101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20170218_170539_HDR.jpg

About 5 hours ago this pistol shrimp was put in the bag and came home with me. The tank he's going into is what you see in the picture. It was filled with water from my display tank, a piece of cured live rock, and a new bag of live pink Fiji sand which is why it's cloudy. My question is, is the coudiness at this stage unsafe, or is the time he's spent in the bag more of the concern?

nervousmonkey

LPS Lover, SPS Enabler
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's fine with the cloudiness in the tank. Did you rinse the sand really well? If not, it could take a couple of days to clear up, but your pistol will be much happier in the tank than in the bag. He's not unsafe per se by leaving him in the bag, but he will be stressed there as pistols can't see that well, so he'll want a place to hide. To me, the stress of the bag is more important than the parameters...

OP
OP
germs101

germs101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's fine with the cloudiness in the tank. Did you rinse the sand really well? If not, it could take a couple of days to clear up, but your pistol will be much happier in the tank than in the bag. He's not unsafe per se by leaving him in the bag, but he will be stressed there as pistols can't see that well, so he'll want a place to hide. To me, the stress of the bag is more important than the parameters...
I asked when I bought the sand if I should rinse it and was told not to bother. It's cleared up a lot since it all was put in. Thanks! We'll put him in now. [emoji4]

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't need (per se) to rinse live sand. I've always thought it as detrimental to the live organisms to rinse it before adding to the tank.
That being said, the silt (which is what makes the water cloudy) will go away and it's of no harm to your pistol.
If you wanted to expedite the process, you can put on a mechanical hob filter with some floss it it. That's what I've always done

OP
OP
germs101

germs101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't need (per se) to rinse live sand. I've always thought it as detrimental to the live organisms to rinse it before adding to the tank.
That being said, the silt (which is what makes the water cloudy) will go away and it's of no harm to your pistol.
If you wanted to expedite the process, you can put on a mechanical hob filter with some floss it it. That's what I've always done
Good to hear. I added some extra filter media to do that.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back