Bare bottom tank, sand in sump

RockyMountainReefing

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 5, 2022
Messages
126
Reaction score
61
Location
Denver
What state or country do you live in
Colorado
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got my bare bottom tank up and running. Im using dry rock. Does anyone know what kind of bag or container I could use to hold live sand in my sump or display without it spilling out. I do not want loose sand in the system im just using it to help seed Biome. I was thinking those Keruig reusable coffer filter cups but the mesh screen is metal. Any ideas? Filter sock?

image.jpg
 
I’m getting ready to put some Refugite in my sump and it will be in a Tupperware container to keep it from moving around. It will not have flow through it but I have heard that folks who use it this way have had low and stable Phosphate levels. Mine are elevated and I have been using LC to keep it down but it is not stable as I feed a lot.
 
I might have to look into that as well. I think my rock is leaching phosphate. I did use LC while cooking the rock and it did help but if rises again I will need a more permanent solution
 
You can use plastic shoe boxes from the .99 cent store, these will last years unless you are running ozone and then you may have to swap them out yearly.

Stealing tupperware, pyrex, popables from the missus is always a good option.

Dave B
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 32.0%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 8 32.0%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 36.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 4 16.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new