Sexy Shrimp and Clownfish

SeaHorseQueen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I was reading online not to mix sexy shrimp with clownfish if you have the one plant that clownfish host on due to fighting over it but will they get along if it’s only live rock/sand? I couldn’t spell it but I’m positive most people will know what I’m talking about. I’m looking at getting a pair of clownfish and wondered about these shrimp. If not I’ll stick with peppermint shrimp.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I was reading online not to mix sexy shrimp with clownfish if you have the one plant that clownfish host on due to fighting over it but will they get along if it’s only live rock/sand? I couldn’t spell it but I’m positive most people will know what I’m talking about. I’m looking at getting a pair of clownfish and wondered about these shrimp. If not I’ll stick with peppermint shrimp.
I've seen rock flower nems host sexy shrimp.

DaJMasta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sexy shrimp prefer to live in anemones, but they don't need them, I haven't tried them with a BTA, but they seem to like mini carpet anemones over rock flower anemones (if that makes a difference), and I don't think clowns will host in either. If not on an anemone, the sexy shrimp tend to hang out on rocks or on the back glass (if it's not clear), and tend to prefer being higher up to being in the sandbed.

Not sure if clowns would mess with them, but not a lot of things seem to unless they're known for eating small inverts.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as I’m aware, clown fish don’t host Rock Anemones, so you should be fine, if they did decide to host it I would see that as a plus.
Clown Fish host all different kinds of anemones, such as carpet and bubble tip, so I think you should be safe.
It can be hard to get a captive breed clown to host its natural anemone, never mind one that it is not normally inclined to host.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my clowns are just fine with my sexy shrimp, and no anemones in the tank. The clowns host the sand in the corner of the tank and the shrimps just walk over all the corals all day long. I've never really heard of clowns going for inverts, clowns are usually very reef safe.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back