sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have 5 kids too???
I have 3.
But you aren't trying to run both at max capacity, even if you are correct about the flow rates, which we will have to agree to disagree with.

Regardless, even if both were tuned to 500 GPH per drain there is no need to run 1000 GPH through a sump on a 100 Gallon tank. And a Herbie drain is self reliant. That's the whole point of the design aside from being quiet is that the secondary drain at max siphon will cover any clogs in the main line.

Having two is no more reliant than one. It just means you are tuning two drains for no reason, wasting money on a gate valve that's not needed, trying to force 4 pipes into a sump where typically people only use two for a regular Herbie and spending more money on plumbing. Just seems like a complete and total waste to me. One Herbie drain will easily Handle all the flow that is needed and be virtually silent.
This makes a lot of sense. I have just one place for socks in my sump. I agree I was looking at trying to cram 4 pipes into the the sock area.

I really like this idea. One corner is the main overflow the second is emergency.

Question won't one corner overflow box fill up and still drain using the emergency drain? Maybe I'm looking at this all wrong?

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3.

This makes a lot of sense. I have just one place for socks in my sump. I agree I was looking at trying to cram 4 pipes into the the sock area.

I really like this idea. One corner is the main overflow the second is emergency.

Question won't one corner overflow box fill up and still drain using the emergency drain? Maybe I'm looking at this all wrong?
The overflow box would fill up, but the weirs are the same height, so it would only go as high as you set it on the main siphon box. Basically, one box would be the one moving water and the other would move it amongst the display and the box slowly.

The box with the emergency drain could also be setup as a cryptic zone, since flow in and out would be slow.

Edit: Water height in overflow is set with the pipe height and where the gate valve is tuned.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would probably go Full siphon and Emergency drain on one side (Herbie), durso standpipe on the other end creating the 3 part MBA. Water in one overflow with only an emergency drain seems like it would have a tenancy to stagnate.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would probably go Full siphon and Emergency drain on one side (Herbie), durso standpipe on the other end creating the 3 part MBA. Water in one overflow with only an emergency drain seems like it would have a tenancy to stagnate.
The agitation of the waters surface would correct that. Water will flow in to the "emergency" overflow and then flow out as well. As long as there is movement across the surface and water height is set correctly, no issues. If water height is set real low, you get the splashing noise and then run the risk of the water in the second overflow of becoming stagnant.

There is also the option of making water exchange holes in the "emergency overflow". Drill some small holes towards the bottom of the overflow and then slightly slot them. This would make water exchange amount more in that box.

Tons of options lol. Luckily I have done all of them (or sadly lol whoever you look at it)

OP
OP
sfin52

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do wrasses actually EAT nori, or do they just enjoy tearing it into tiny pieces and spitting it out to make a mess??

The wrasse in all three of my tanks, do this and it's super irritating
Speaking of wrasses. Heather asks are we going to get more wrasses. She loves those fish. We have created a closet reefer

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Speaking of wrasses. Heather asks are we going to get more wrasses. She loves those fish. We have created a closet reefer
You can tell her we all said yes, more wrasses are coming.

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do wrasses actually EAT nori, or do they just enjoy tearing it into tiny pieces and spitting it out to make a mess??

The wrasse in all three of my tanks, do this and it's super irritating
I don't know about wrasses, but my triggerfish (before aggression catastrophe) liked to eat the nori right at the clip which would cause most of it to go free-floating and be wasted! A quick design for 3D-printing solved this issue, but it made the nori less accessible in general. Now, I am happy to just use magnetic clips again, although I have the mesh feeder ready if needed.

OP
OP
sfin52

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got some goodies today from BRS. @Bulk Reef Supply thanks for the Halloween gift. I already spent it on bulkheads.
20211026_222033.jpg
20211026_222159.jpg

Whats causing the glowing red
20211026_222037.jpg

20211026_222057.jpg

@Another_Undertaker take a look at this little guy

Last edited:
OP
OP
sfin52

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
sfin52

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20211023_162425.jpg

Deminsions 60.5×18.5×26 right around 125g
this is my son Stefan. He's 16 yr version of mcdreamy. Home coming he gets out of the car and talks to his friends a group of girls come up and surround him. He jumps back in the car and says nope not going back out, Its to dangerous. (In drivers ed school wouldn't let him start till this school year)

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is my son Stefan. He's 16 yr version of mcdreamy. Home coming he gets out of the car and talks to his friends a group of girls come up and surround him. He jumps back in the car and says nope not going back out, Its to dangerous. (In drivers ed school wouldn't let him start till this school year)
Haha.. my 16 yo has more testosterone than brains currently. I'm not sure if he is capable of passing a mirror and not checking himself out..

You couldn't PAY ME to go back!

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha.. my 16 yo has more testosterone than brains currently. I'm not sure if he is capable of passing a mirror and not checking himself out..

You couldn't PAY ME to go back!
I have one that is like that and another that is who cares, whatever. 18 and 17. 15 months apart lol.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back