Shall I just give up and quit?

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dose 3% hydrogen peroxide, 1-3ml per 10gal twice a day. It will get rid of cyano and at least some dinos.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have done a water change and saturday I will start dosing red x. if that didnt help I will start with chemiclean. I have got chemiclean in hand but want to get to it in the last.
Just a suggestion - do one thing at a time - don't start water changes and siphoning and then adding chemicals. Do one or the other - then you will know what helped to work

OP
OP
Qasim

Qasim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a suggestion - do one thing at a time - don't start water changes and siphoning and then adding chemicals. Do one or the other - then you will know what helped to work
It is going to be 5 days after water changes and the red x application might take around a month until I decide to move to the next step, hopefully with red x there will not be a need for chemiclean. Although before water changes everything was covered in cyano i mean rocks by everything luckily with the water change the kh have lowered a bit and corals reacted very well that they extended a mm more ;)

OP
OP
Qasim

Qasim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today, i woke up and I see the rocks covered by a hairy like cyanobacteria as you can see from the video below. At this moment I have nothing to do but wait for the Fauna Marine Red X. I have measured my tank volume and it is 380 liters exluding the rock will go down to 350 liters so will dose accordingle for 6 days and wait.

OP
OP
Qasim

Qasim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just dosed 35ml fauna marine Red X and the journey begins. Lets hope it will solve my issue and there will be no need for further interventions.

OP
OP
Qasim

Qasim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I dosed 4th Red X two more days and waiting will start however looking at the tank and the increased amount of Cyanobacteria I dont see a bright light at the end :(

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Today I dosed 4th Red X two more days and waiting will start however looking at the tank and the increased amount of Cyanobacteria I dont see a bright light at the end :(
Siphon and do a 1-2 day blackout and switch to ChemiClean. Uts the industry leading cyano destroyer for a reason

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Siphon and do a 1-2 day blackout and switch to ChemiClean. Uts the industry leading cyano destroyer for a reason
Agree with the siphon - not sure about the blackout - double plus on the chemiclean - make sure you've removed all things that remove 'red x' and 'chemiclean' from your tank. If you havent - it won't work. PS - there is no problem with a blackout - just my experience with chemiclean - its not necessary - and may slow down killing (i.e. in the dark - the cyano is not growing as well - and if its not growing as well - it won't be killed as quickly/well)

OP
OP
Qasim

Qasim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will siphon and see how its coming along. I will give it the full treatment process i dont like to leave it in the middle then switch to something different i will wait the 10 days period where the 4 already gone then I will follow with a water change and chemiclean.

OP
OP
Qasim

Qasim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I dosed the last 35ml i will wait a couple days if no affects I will do a ~20% water change because thats my capacity for the water changes at a time due to limited water storages

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
High nutrients won’t create cyano and/or dinos. They thrive in low nutrient conditions. Perhaps your testing is off. Also, if you actually are having this problem, by underfeeding, you are helping them thrive.
This is correct. I had dinos very bad. The last thing you want to do is to reduce nutrients and perform water changes with dinos, there is a dino thread with great info. Very active thread. Also if you know you have dinos get a microscope and post in the dino thread so someone can tell you what type of dinos and inform you how to treat it. The link for the dino thread is below:
There has been a lot of us to survive dinos. You can too.

OP
OP
Qasim

Qasim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So two days passed after applying Fauna Marine Red X for 6 days so in total there are 8 days of Fauna marine now and no affects as can be seen from the videos and photos below:

20190824_125633.jpg 20190824_125640.jpg 20190824_125641.jpg

Dave1987

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please stop messing with your tank! Let is rest.

Dinos, cyano... Dont worry about it.

What are your no3 and po4 readings? I,m thinking these are eaten up by the dinos and cyano?

Get some to start dosing.

Keep the levels detectable whatever it takes. And start adding a real good bacterial supliment preferably different ones. Every other day. Some in the water. Some injected in the substrate.

Get a uv steriliser that you run for a day 24h after each dose.

Before starting you could do a blackout to get a jump start on the buggers.

If you start. Keep it stable and stop putting meds in. Your only making things worse.

I had the same problem. No detectable nutrients. Cyano, dinos... Looked worse than your tank for sure. If I added nutrients... The dinos took off. I starved the tank so that even de dinos were dying. Then suddenly started dosing no3 and po4 and dosed heavily on bacterial supliments. Within a few weeks everything was gone... And never returned.

OP
OP
Qasim

Qasim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to ask if I should dose chemiclean and do a 20% water change after 48 hours. coz nothing is getting better, Im guessing the warm weather here where sometimes the water temp is raising upto 30 Degree Celsius is a major affect on this and I am trying to get a solution to it by buying a chiller

Dave1987

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like I said. Get your tank stable.

No more temp shifts... 30 degrees celcius kills corals ;) bacteria cultures and allot more. This really explains your problem.

You parameters stable.

Everything needs to be stable, stable, stable.

After you get everything "stable". Work from there. Chemicals make things "unstable"

I bet you everything will work out. But no.. your problems wont go away in a 2 week timespan.

Get everything in line. And after use my advice from the last post.

And no you shouldnt quit. You should learn to take things easy and not to panick. Think about every step you take. But you need to have a solid base to build on.

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After you get everything "stable". Work from there. Chemicals make things "unstable"

To be fair, the human body, our reef animals, all life on earth is constituted of chemicals...

That said, to the OP, I've been dosing chemiclean in my tank, twice so far, and along with my increase in clean up crew + cleaning/siphoning rocks + removal of some substrate I am seeing a slow and steady decrease in algae (very slow, but it's not getting worse).

OP
OP
Qasim

Qasim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: cyano is gone all my rock and sand is off of cyano thanks to Chemiclean. I still have brown stuff on parts of my sand. I have not put my hands in the water for quiet some time now think that added to the removal as well. Im going on a trip for a few days I will get a chiller to get the water temp stable i think it is the main reason why corals are dying. So hope no more additons of chemicals will be needed to overcome this issue. But once again chemi clean saved me from cyano hopefully there will not be any more need for anyother treatments.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 11 19.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 32 56.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 8.8%
Back