ShamWow!

gparr

Waterbox Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No laughing!

A couple of weeks ago, my son and I were watching TV and that annoying ShamWow! commercial was on. I stated that I was curious as to whether those things would be better than the thin, ratty, quick-to-get-soaked old towels we all use. But I said I wasn't going to go through the hassle of ordering just to find out.

My son works at Walgreens and said, "we have those at the store. Want me to get some?" I was in favor, so he brought home a box that night. It contained four of the large ShamWow! towels and four smaller "kitchen" towels. I kept the large ones and sent the rest to the kitchen. Initially, I wasn't impressed. The new ShamWow! was stiff and didn't seem to absorb much.

Then I decided to soak it in the sink, wring it out, and let it dry to see if it would become more "towel like." That worked and now it sucks up water like you can't believe. It has become my primary daily maintenance towel. Well worth a try.

Another "tool" I've been using for some time is one of those cheap 1.5-in. sponge paintbrushes to clean my skimmer cups. I bought the cheapest ones that Home Depot sells. I put a skimmer cup under running water and "wipe" the gunk out with the sponge brush. It gets in all of the corners, rinses out easily, and really speeds up one of the nastiest jobs in reef keeping. Get whatever size seems to best fit your skimmer cup size and give it a try.

Gary

nino78

Blue Planet Corals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's funny you posted this. My girlfriend has wanted a shamwow forever but I told her theres no way it works as well as it does on TV. Guess now I'll have to get her some.

JuniorMC8704

Super Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol, ive honestly thought about trying a sham wow for a while now.

Does it get it perfectly dry like a new micro fiber will for photo purposes?

the sponge brushes i bought months ago to do the same thing....and they got lost in the jungle that is my basement before i ever got to try them out.

Guess Ill have to go get some more...its about time to retire the toothbrush anyways.

OP
OP
gparr

gparr

Waterbox Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Junior, I wouldn't use them anywhere near photographic glass. But they inhale aquarium water.

Definitely dig out those sponge paint brushes. They clean much better than toothbrushes.
Gary

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They work pretty dam good! Just dont dry them... one of my idiot roomates put them in the dryer and they dont do much now :neutral:

they got lost in the jungle that is my basement before i ever got to try them out.
They get lost?!? ... don't you know I'm still lost in your basement right now?

JuniorMC8704

Super Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no i meant getting the tank glass squeaky clean, without any haze...before taking pics through it.

I would never use it on optical glass.

Junior, I wouldn't use them anywhere near photographic glass. But they inhale aquarium water.

Definitely dig out those sponge paint brushes. They clean much better than toothbrushes.
Gary

JuniorMC8704

Super Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you know i thought i heard something down there last night...i figured it was my vortech...=(

They work pretty dam good! Just dont dry them... one of my idiot roomates put them in the dryer and they dont do much now :neutral:

They get lost?!? ... don't you know I'm still lost in your basement right now?

OP
OP
gparr

gparr

Waterbox Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no i meant getting the tank glass squeaky clean, without any haze...before taking pics through it.

I would never use it on optical glass.

I didn't think you'd use them on your optics, but wanted to be sure. I've not tried "polishing" glass with mine, so that's a good question. I'll give that a try tonight. I've just used them so far to dry my hands, buckets, water around tank rims, and tools.
Gary

Leishman

143gadgets' Mentor
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are nothing new. I started using them 25+ years ago as a swimmer, without them you would need 4 or 5 towels at a meet. Speedo even make them (or re-sell them w/the speedo logo).

SaraB

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy crap that dude and commercial is really annoying. :crossedlips:

Can you bring me over a towel to try out Gary? Too bad we didn't have them a few weeks ago, huh? LOL

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
HAHA I have thought of getting some as well. :D

OP
OP
gparr

gparr

Waterbox Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are nothing new. I started using them 25+ years ago as a swimmer, without them you would need 4 or 5 towels at a meet. Speedo even make them (or re-sell them w/the speedo logo).

No, not new by any stretch, but they really do work.
Gary

OP
OP
gparr

gparr

Waterbox Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you bring me over a towel to try out Gary? Too bad we didn't have them a few weeks ago, huh? LOL

Yes, would have been very handy to mop up pump leaks. You're more than welcome to give one a try.
Gary

FateX8

Frag Dragon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
theres also something else out there for cars that does the same thing
when they dry out the get completely stiff and doesnt work until you soak it and ring it outm i think theyre called the absorber
nothing new but the price is a lot cheaper then geting lots of the absorbers

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the heads up Gary! I will pick up some of BOTH your suggestions, I just tried cleaning that nasty skimmer sludge last night, it is my LEAST favorite job for sure.

coraldiva

LED
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
theres also something else out there for cars that does the same thing
when they dry out the get completely stiff and doesnt work until you soak it and ring it outm i think theyre called the absorber
nothing new but the price is a lot cheaper then geting lots of the absorbers

yeah, i use these things on my mach1 mustang. they are uber. i keep the absorber in a container and it doesn't dry out.

Saltysteele

Bret
View Badges
Reaction score
in a van, down by the river in South Haven, MI
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah, these things have been around for forever, just now someone is telemercialling them. the work really well.

that dude is now on another infomercial for the "slap chopper." one of those choppers where you (obviously) slap it, and it pushes the blades down. what a dips***.

if i saw him on the street, i'd have to walk up to him and punch him in the throat. we HATE him at our house. i think my 3 year old would even upper cut him to the sensitive area.

however, obviously, their advertising dollars have worked. who doesn't know this product now?

MikeB

R2R Web Admin & Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwRISkyV_B8[/youtube]

:snicker::haha:

Last edited:
Back